We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Target/Bargain Shopping

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Target/Bargain Shopping

I'm coming into Boston next week for four days, and one of them is going to be dedicated to shopping (I am Canadian, and I will be flying solo with no spouse to slow me down).

My fave US store for awesome deals is Target. I know that there are a few in the surrounding area. I am also interested in Wal-Mart and Kohl's. I am wondering if any are relatively close to each other and easily accessible by transit? It's hard to tell beased on their websites and non-detailed maps. I will not be renting a car and am staying at Jury's, but would like to visit all of them in one day, if I can. Is Filene's Basement worth a visit as well, and are there any malls that come highly recommended? I know the Prudential is downtown. And is there a Macy's downtown? I'm looking for stores that we don't have up in the Great White North....

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Target/Bargain Shopping

There is one Target in Boston, in the South Bay Shopping center in the Dorchester neighborhood. It's probably a $10 cab ride from Jury's. There are also a few bus lines which run from the Andrew station on the Red Line, out to that shopping center. Your best bet would be to cab it, though. There are no Wal-Mart stores near downtown. The nearest one is in Quincy, I believe, and it's not really near the T at all.

There's a Macy's at Downtown Crossing, and it's right across the street from Filene's, which has the original Filene's Basement. The original one is different from the chain you might know about, and it's definitely worth checking for bargains.

The Prudential mall is very nice and very upscale; not a bargain hunter's paradise at all.

The closest Kohls that I know about is at the Meadow Glen Mall in Medford. This mall is a good 15+ minute walk from the Wellington station on the Orange Line, but again, there are buses too from Wellington, if you want (or a cab, again).

You could conceivably hit both the Kohls and Target in one day, without a car, but they are in opposite directions, and you'd be spending a lot of time on the T (subway) to do it.

If you are really bargain hunting, you should re-think the car for one day. You should head down to the Wrentham Village Factory Outlet Mall, in Wrentham, MA (about 45 minutes southwest of downtown Boston). If you are looking for shopping bargains, this is your Nirvana. They have over 100+ shops, lots of designer shops, and other great stores like Fossil, Sony electronics, and a great Pottery Barn/Williams Sonoma outlet (I love that one!)

Here's the website for Wrentham, with a list of shops, hours, directions, etc.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/wrentham/

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Target/Bargain Shopping

Hi Leafgirl,

I just decided to look again at the Wrentham website. They actually have tourbuses which run tours from Downtown Boston to the mall. They are run by Grey Line, and they leave at 9:30 am from Park Plaza ( a few blocks from Jury's). Check it out on the "transportation" link on their website.

Natick...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Target/Bargain Shopping

Hi leafgirl,

If you're really set on visiting Target, Kohl's and Wal-Mart, probably the closest point to Boston to hit all three would be in the Natick/Framingham area, which is about 20 miles west of Boston. There is a Target on Rt. 30 in Framingham, which is right off the Mass Pike (exit 13). The Kohl's is right across Rt. 30 from Target, and a bit further up Rt. 30 there's a cut-through road over to Rt. 9 where the Wal-Mart is. Since you're not renting a car, probably the easiest way to get to all three, if you're interested, would be to take the Logan Express shuttle bus from the airport out to Framingham. Then you can take a cab (all three stores are close to the Framingham Logan Express terminal, but there's heavy traffic,and I wouldn't advise walking, especially since you don't know the area.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
821 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Target/Bargain Shopping

The only problem with the Grayline bus to Wrentham is that it leaves Boston at 10.00am getting to Wrentham at 11.00am and returns from Wrentham at 4.00pm - so for major league shopping that just isn't enough for me!!!!

So I am going to hire a car for the day - its $36 on the bus and I can hire a car for $40 for a day and be more flexible in where I go and stop along the way

Having said that there are 2 of us so the bus would cost us $72 - but it was the time thing that persuaded me

Sarah

Charlotte NC
Level Contributor
79 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Target/Bargain Shopping

Filene's basement is definitely worth a visit! I recommend taking a cab to a Target Store or sticking to the downtown area. Driving here is a total nightmare! If you do decide to spend the day downtown, there are great options. The Basement, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, H&M (Cheap, trendy clothes) & Macy's (to name a few). The Prudential Mall is okay, but I wouldn't say it's a bargain hunter's paradise. But all the stores are having major summer clearances...Happy Shopping!

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Target/Bargain Shopping

Great info! Thanks. I had looked into Outlet Malls when I was doing my research, but since time is limited I have it as a possibility. (Normally I do like outlet shopping, but it's easier with a car when you're not tied to someone else's time frame).

It's my first trip to Boston, so there is so much I want to do....