We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chilis Restaurant...Gone?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Chilis Restaurant...Gone?

Did Chilis in Copley Mall close down?? Why?!?!

1. Re: Chilis Restaurant...Gone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2009, 15:54
UK
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chilis Restaurant...Gone?

:-(

cant believe its gone! We have been coming to Boston for the last 6 years and was always our first stop, i know its not the best restaurant there is but we used to enjoy it!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,779 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chilis Restaurant...Gone?

Check there webiste, there's probably others not too far away. There used to be one in Harvard Square. does anybody know if it's still there?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chilis Restaurant...Gone?

Harvard Square location is closed also. For like eight years.

MA
Level Contributor
372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chilis Restaurant...Gone?

They have closed several locations recently. The one in Framingham near the Natick Mall is gone too.

To the person who mentioned upscale mall and chilis not surviving because of that... are you not aware of what is going on out there?? Facts are quite different then opinions. You should be surprised that upscale malls can make it at all in this economy. Chilis has always been welcomed in Copley ..and at this fairly dire point where people are cutting spending like mad.. probably packed.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chilis Restaurant...Gone?

It may not be due to Chilis not making money. In several malls here (like the Burlington Mall - a Simon Mall property) the mall management refused to renew leases of well liked profitable tenants. Instead these malls brought in other ones that could generate more money for the mall. For instance, the old Jimmies Restaurant and Pizzeria Regina in the Burlington Mall were forced out of their restaurant locations being replaced with Cheesecake Factory in one instance. The outcry of the Pizzeria Regina losing their lease they did give them a food court location but not the same as the restaurant space they used to occupy.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chilis Restaurant...Gone?

Haven't been there in years, but I always disliked the location... tucked away next to the cinemas. The place I do miss most in the vicinty was the old Ground Round in the (old) Pru.

I'm curious what these "malls" offer these days... it's been a couple years since I've even set foot in either one of these malls.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chilis Restaurant...Gone?

I am not sure if being able to pay the rent matters.

From what I have heard, Simon is pulling any store in his malls, which attract anything but his target market.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chilis Restaurant...Gone?

Yes eileen exactly the point I was trying to make. Here is an article about the story about Pizzeria Reginia:

boston.com/business/…

I really dislike the Simon Malls Property group for this reason and for the fact that they now charge an extra fee for their gift cards. To me though to make all their malls be all the same seems so boring to shoppers.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chilis Restaurant...Gone?

Hi Sedum:

Thanks for the link. I have heard the rumor, but it is always good to see it in ink before posting.

The South Shore Mall has been going down hill for years. Nordstorms has a lot to do with this policy. Before coming into his malls, Nordstorms required a lot of changes. I can already see positive changes in Braintree.

Thanks again for the article. Gift card sales are down, ask them to waive the fee. Can't hurt to ask.