We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for Boston residents regarding living

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question for Boston residents regarding living

Hi,

I will be moving to Boston at the beginning of January until the very end of May. I will be working in Dorchester on Dorchester Ave. and will be using public transportation. I am trying to figure out an area to rent/share an apartment/sublet. I am aware that Boston is fairly expensive for living, yet I am on a fairly tight budget. Can anyone give me ideas of neighborhoods/areas that are safe/fun for someone in their 20's starting a professional job who has a budget of only 700 or 800 per month for rent? I have no issue with renting a studio or smaller apartment. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for Boston residents regarding living

Several to consider are the Allston/Brighton area - lots of students, grad students and new grads also: Somerville, South Boston (not to be confused with the South End) and East Boston. Check out craigslist to get an idea of prices, sharing options.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,522 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for Boston residents regarding living

You are very unlikely to be able to find an apartment in your price range, especially given that you are staying only a few months. So you would likely have to share or sublet. Given that, the suggestion for checking Craig's List is a good one.

AlanM

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for Boston residents regarding living

Hi,

With that budget, you will need to find a roommate situation. It will be extremely difficult to find a clean, safe studio apartment in that price range, but easy to find a share. Since you are only here for a few months, you can't sign a lease, which will make it even harder to find a place on your own.

As for where, I assume you will want to take the Red Line, if you are working off of Dot ave. Davis Sq. in Somerville or Porter Sq. in Cambridge are great, funky neighborhoods with lots going on for someone your age. They are both right on the Red Line, so it wouldn't be bad at all to get to your job.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for Boston residents regarding living

Thanks for your help. I will certainly check out craigslist and see what I can find in those areas. It appears that the major cross streets are Dorchester Ave and Old Colony Ave, directly east of Boston University Medical campus.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for Boston residents regarding living

For an option closer to your work, you might check out UMass Boston's student housing office and look for students living in Harbor Point lookingfor roomates. Harbor Point is at the JFK UMass station in Dorchester, on the South Boston line. Some of the apts there are very nice and it's a mix of students and working people. There's a nicer complex nearby too--the Peninsula. You might check it out, though I think it's pricier. They have a state of the art gym and pool. Some of the UMB staff and students live there too.

Make the trip yourself before you commit to commuting every day from Allston to Dorchester. It's not a quick hop.

West Quincy has some apartments and a bus that goes into Ashmont, which is at one end of Dot ave---you didn't mention which T stop you'd be closest to.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for Boston residents regarding living

Thanks I will certainly check into the JKF/UMASS area you mentioned. From the ad I posted on craigslist most of the responses have been for the Allston area. I will be coming to Boston the first week of Jan to check out places so I can get a better feel of the area prior to moving. Work will be pretty close to the Broadway red line train stop.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for Boston residents regarding living

Hi,

It really depends on what kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in. You probably want to be somewhere on the Red Line, if you are working near Broadway. I would rule out Allston, if I were you. The Green Line from there is a pain in the neck and it will take you a long time to get to Broadway.

The area around Broadway, South Boston, is nice and has lots of apartments for rent. It's become more yuppie in recent years, but it's not as hip as some other areas yet.

If you want a really youthful/hip area, as I said, Davis Sq. in Somerville or Porter Sq. in Cambridge. You might also find something on the "back side" of Beacon Hill, which would be great for you. All three of these areas are on the Red Line and will be a simple commute for you.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for Boston residents regarding living

I agree with what the previous poster suggested to you. Listen up good! If you need to be near Broadway station, & if you're going to be working in Dorchester on Dot Ave., for several months, absolutely check Craigslist for roommates & places to live BUT ALSO go to this site:

www.boston.com

Click on Homes, then Renting, put in South Boston. I just saw a few decent studio apartments for rent and one of them was only $650 a month WITH heat and hot water, you can't beat that with a stick these days. Check them out to see what you think. I'm partial to the East side of Southie (East Broadway & the Point area near the beach) BUT don't go by me, the West side has been completely and totally rehabbed and it's not what it used to be, it's much better these days and especially near Broadway Station, so remember that, there's some pretty neat condo's down thru there these days.

I checked Rooney's Real Estate in Southie online where they have rentals & a lot of homes & condo's for sale all the time, but they didn't have anything under $2,000 a month listed for rent, so forget them in your case.

Good luck.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for Boston residents regarding living

As mentioned before, with that budget you are probably looking at a roomate situation. You may be able to take the place of a student doing a semester abroad during that time.

You may possibly luck out and find a studio in that range. Don't be afraid to try and knock the rent down a bit, if it is higher than your range. January is a horrible time for a landlord to try and rent here. People just don't tend to move in the middle of the winter. So, you might find someone very motivated to fill a vacant apartment and possibly agree to a short term lease as it it will be much easier to find a tenant in June than January.

Boston...
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for Boston residents regarding living

As long as you don't mind a bit of a ride, I'd recommend the Davis Square (Somerville) area. True, you are probably looking at a roommate situation, but the apartments/houses there are usually more spacious than anything in the city. There are also lots of great pubs there that aren't crazy expensive if you just want to grab a beer, and lots of good cheap eats like Anna's Taqueria and Mike's Pizza. Porter Sq is just adjacent, also has a Red Line stop, and might be just slightly less $.

South Boston (Southie) is also a great area to look, and closer to your work. It has started over the past 5-10 years to become much more popular with young professionals, and there's more nightlife cropping up as well.

If you have a car, Davis Square will likely be an easier parking situation than Southie, which can be a bit of a nightmare for car owners unless you have off-street parking.

Both of these neighborhoods are full of young professionals on a similar budget to yours, and while it's not easy, I did it and you can make it work, too!

I'm not a huge fan of Allston, mostly because it's pretty college-y, but if you don't mind that it might work for you. I wouldn't want to do that commute though - even though Davis Sq is far, at least it's a straight shot on the Red Line.

Take it or leave it, but Somerville was a perfect choice for me when I moved here in my early 20s!