We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family trip after cruise

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
family trip after cruise

Hi, we are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids 10 and 7 yrs old. we are doing a canada new england cruise out of boston and plan to stay a few days after.

we want to see quincy market, do the trolly tour, tour fenway park, swan boats etc. since we are from Calif and have never been to boston, I need help on where to stay? someplace close to as much as possible, maybe indoor pool for kids and central that if we go out all day then come back and rest then head out for dinner.

any helpful tips would be appreciated.

thanks

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family trip after cruise

Most downtown hotels don't have pools. Any hotel in the Quincy Market/Fanieul Hall, Financial District, or Copley Square area will give you easy access to all you want to see. Boston is pretty compact.

Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: family trip after cruise

thanks for the quick feedback. I am on looking at hotels now and found the new renaissance waterfront bayside hotel the rates are great, how far is that from downtown and is it easy by taxi to get back and forth or too much hassle?

thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: family trip after cruise

"I am on looking at hotels now and found the new renaissance waterfront bayside hotel the rates are great, how far is that from downtown and is it easy by taxi to get back and forth or too much hassle?"

Unless there's a new hotel I don't know about, I think you've got a couple of hotels munged together here. One is the Renaissance Waterfront Hotel near the South Boston Waterfront, which is a new Marriott. The hotel is brand new and very nice, but a long walk from the Downtown Area - nowhere near the stuff you want to see. If the kids aren't walkers, you'd have to taxi back and forth.

The other I think is the Double Club Boston Bayside, which is in a much further location in South Boston. From there, you'd have to take a shuttle, then the T subway to get Downtown.

For me, I would rather have a hotel Downtown if I could. Try the Holiday Inn Select Beacon Hill. Usually they have decent rates, is in a nice Downtown location close to Fanueil Hall and the Freedom Trail - and they have a pool.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family trip after cruise

I didn't pick up on when you're travelling. I assume it's when the weather is generally nice. If that is the case, I wouldn't hesitate to book the renaissance waterfront. It's a fair distance from "downtown", but the Silver Line of the subway isn't far, and there are plenty of great restaurants nearby. During the warmer months, there are great concerts at the Bank of America Pavilion (open-air on the waterfront) very close by. Black Falcon Terminal is also quite close, though you will need a taxi to carry luggage, etc., even if the weather is nice.

The Silver Line will take you to South Station, where you can switch to the Red Line to catch a subway to anywhere in town... Fenway Park, Harvard Square, Quincy Market, Museums, etc.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family trip after cruise

I think the Westin at Copley Place has a pool. It's in a good location in the Back Bay.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family trip after cruise

My kids are 9.5 and 12 and are fairly good travellers ... and even at their current ages, I'd hesitate before booking the "South Boston Waterfront" area. If they were a bit younger, I'd rule it out all together. It is a bit away from the things you want to see and there's no place to "blow off steam" like a playground or the frog pond, or even a simple car-free park like near Trinity Church in Copley Square or the park in Post Office Square in the financial district.

The Holiday Inn Select at Gov't center is a great suggestion. Originally their pool was outdoors ... I don't know if has been moved indoors w/ the recent renovations.

Also, you can take a boat ride to some of the Boston Harbor Islands where swimming is allowed if that's something you might be interested in.

Of course, I'm assuming that si nce you are doing a New England cruise, you'll be here in the summer time. Is that a correct assumption?

Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: family trip after cruise

thanks for the reply's.

I think we will stay first night at renaissance waterfront since it is close by port, then after cruise move to downtown area. it will be easier with kids.

i will look into the Holiday Inn.

we are coming at beginning of October.

thanks

Boston
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: family trip after cruise

I would also recommend Nine Zero. We stayed there for a wedding and it is a luxury hotel - the room we had was spacious. It is on Tremont Street, very accessible to major sites and is also in a good location for restaurants (walkable to the theatre district, quincy market and is right on the freedom trail - it is a stones throw from the Commons and swan boats as well as the state house). It, however, does not have a pool. It is pricey but does offer huge discounts in the summer...

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: family trip after cruise

Cat ... it would be 10 minutes for a taxi to take you from the cruise terminal to the Holiday Inn. Unless you are getting incredible savings by staying at the Rennaisance for the first night ... I'd just check-in and stay.

Obviously, it's your call, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: family trip after cruise

You mention taxis which can quickly add up. Suggest looking into using the MBTA (subway) system. It is pretty easy to use and if you are here a few days the weekly pass is well worth it. Plus children under age 11 ride free.