We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whe to go in New Hampshire

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
whe to go in New Hampshire

Hi all, I'm coming to Boston with my son this week-end, i heard it's not snowing. I was told by friends in Boston we can go to New Hampshire. it's an hour drive from Boston. where can we go for fun in the snow, like, tubing, sledding. some thing fun for a 6 year old from Florida. Thanks

MA
Level Contributor
372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whe to go in New Hampshire

Thank the good lord it is not snowing.. We surpassed the average for the whole season in early January this year and it has not stopped.. It has been terrible. It will be in the 50s this week though:) and that will likely get rid of the rest of what is left..but don't worry, the cold will be back and our mountains/hills make their own snow.

You can go to New Hampshire, but most likely won't have too. Nashoba Valley in Westford, MA has tubing and they are a ski area also, so they are definetely making their own snow.

http://www.skinashoba.com/tubing/info.html

Or you can try this place in Amesbury, MA for tubing

http://www.amesburysportspark.net/

florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whe to go in New Hampshire

Thank you, I went on both sites you suggested,they looked interesting, i'll take that info with me. I would still like it if it did snow.(I know you're tired of snow for a while.) Would be nice to see it coming down naturally. Any more ideas, let me know. Thanks

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,766 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whe to go in New Hampshire

Yes, NH is an hour away. Some people live there and commute to jobs in the Boston area. But the parts of NH you can reach in an hour don't usually have weather dramatically different than Boston. If it's 50 in Boston, it's not likely to be snowing an hour away. (Notice I said 'not likley' as opposed to "definitely won't be" ... the most predictable thing about New England weather is that it's unpredictable!)

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whe to go in New Hampshire

The weather in southwest NH can vary greatly from Boston. Many times the temps differ by 10 degrees and when Boston gets rain in the winter months, we get snow. Snowtubing is great at Granite Gorge just outside of Keene, perfect for a little one.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,766 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whe to go in New Hampshire

I can't speak for all Bostonians, but when I think "Southern NH" I think Portsmouth or Hampton or even Salem or Nashua. You know, get on 95 or 93 and head north for an hour or so. The original poster specficialy said she was told she could get to nH in an hour.

Yes, Keene is "southern nh" but it takes more than an hour to get there. If you believe Mapquest, it's 2 hours and 7 minutes. Last time I drove it it was more like 2 1/2 hours.

MA
Level Contributor
372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whe to go in New Hampshire

If you want to see nice mountains, you can be at the southern tip of the White Mountains National Forest in about 2 hours. Drive straight up 93N and keep going. Waterville Valley will be the first place your reach.

http://www.visitwatervillevalley.com/

Have you ever considered trying ski lessons with the kids? That would be fun. They have Sleigh Rides, and Snoeshoeing also.

"Sleigh Rides

Ride Schedule 2008-09

Friday 7:00, 8:00, 9:00

Saturday 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00

Sunday 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00

Sleigh will run daily Dec 26-31 and Feb 13-22

Reservations required.

For reservations, information, and tickets, visit the Town Square check-in desk or call 603-236-8175."

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: whe to go in New Hampshire

If you are coming this weekend there will be snow within 30 minutes from the city. There is still snow on the ground where I live. Amesbury and Nashoba Valley are great suggestions for places to go snow tubing. Just make sure you go to each of their web sites' because different rules apply to younger kids, they might need to share a tube with an adult at some of the places If you want to go further up into ski country in NH which is about a 2 hour drive from Boston. Check out places like Gunstock, Waterville Valley, or Loon Mountain. There will be plenty of snow there.

Other ideas for your six year old would be skating at Frog Pond in the Boston Common or at The Charles Hotel in Cambridge, skate rentals are available. This coming week in Massachusetts is February school vacation week. A lot of special activities will be going on around MA and NH. This is also means there will be longer lines.

A special event will be happening at Revere Beach on Saturday February 14 An Oceanside campfire enjoy an evening winter walk on the beach. Share campfire stories, roast marshmallows and warm up with hot chocolate 5:30-7.

Here is a link to upcoming children's activities in the Boston area.

www.bostoncentral.com/events/upcoming.php

Have Fun!

8. Re: whe to go in New Hampshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 01:20