We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England accomodation

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
343 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
New England accomodation

Hi!

Seems that more people in this forum are going to New England this fall.

My wife and i have plans as well, but what price can we expect to pay for accomodation?

I have seen several B&B's for around 120$, but is it possible to stay cheaper but still nice and clean?

Is there a chain of motels/hotels along the way and what class are they.

We have 3 weeks and will travel from Washington D.C to Boston area, then Vermont and N.H. maybe Maine.

Kind regards from Jesper, Copenhagen, Denmark

Boston
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England accomodation

Since my grandmother was from Copenhagen, I feel I should reply!! You have several things to consider: how much driving you want to do, when you are coming, and what your budget is. New England covers several states and many miles. There are both very expensive places to stay as well as many chain motels such as the Holiday Inn, Quality Inn, Days Inn- these are big chains and you would have to check their websites after you decide what areas you want to visit when. In other words, its a long drive from some parts of Vermont to some parts of Maine, New Hampshire, Mass, Rhode Island or Connecticut for example so you need to think about how much driving between hotels or motels you want to do. The chains are decent enough, usually pretty clean, with small free breakfast foods, usually quiet, pretty functional, just not worthy of "stars". Prices could run from around $100 a night on up because you'd be coming at a very, very popular time!! We stay in the motels above all the time when we travel. There are cheaper ones like the Motel 6 chain but we find them to be noisy with thin walls and very minimal services. I won't stay in those personally, even though you might find one for under $100 a night. You would have to do a search for higher end hotels and B&Bs and there are tons in all these states. The higher end places can run well over $200 and up per night, again because you'd be coming during a very popular time.

First of all, you have to pick dates. Foliage starts in upper Maine sometime in early September depending on how much cold weather and rain we've had for the last several months and it gradually moves down until it reaches Connecticut around mid October. You have about 1-1.5 weeks or so in each section- say upper Maine to mid NH to southern Rhode Island over a span of about 5-6 weeks to "catch" the color in each location so you do have to plan (and guess!!) ahead. Color is much better inland than along the coast since the maples are more abundant away from the ocean. Since you're going up from Washington, this goes backwards so you'd catch the color in early to mid October the further south you are. But to see it in upper NH or Maine, you'd need to be up that way closer to early to mid September. Some years vary but this is an approximation.

I hope this helps a little. Karen (named after my great grandmother from Copenhagen)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England accomodation

Another thing to keep in mind is that in some parts of New England there are a lot of non-chain lower priced motels/ Motor Inns.

Some of the lower cost ones that come to mind in the Mount Washington Valley area: The Trellis Motel in North Conway, NH, The School House Motel in Conway NH (or it might be North Conway), The Covered Bridge Motel (in Jackson, NH)

Some on Cape Cod: The Southfleet in Wellfleet, MA, The Top Mast in Truro, The Crow's Nest in Truro.

I'd like to say, don't discount Cape Cod on your fall tour. The colors are not as spectacular as the mountains, but it's lovely. The clear, dry air and sun and ocean are just spectacular. The Cape Cod National Seashore's cedar swamp walking trail is awash in very pretty yellow colors in mid- to late- October.

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England accomodation

I have been a great fan of the Quality Inns in the past, but you have to be careful with them in cities because not all the managers are as careful about cleaning as you'd like. I am talking about bugs.

We recently discovered the Extended Stay Deluxe in Westborough, Mass., right off rte 9 & very near the Masspike & rte 495. It is convenient for getting in & out of the city & nearby towns. The rates for a suite with fully equipped kitchenette, sofabed, bathroom with separate sink from toilet & shower, and queen bed are from $80-90/night. When we have stayed there it has been very clean. They have a continental breakfast but it isn't the greatest.

There is a grocery down the road, Roche Bros, which has boxed dinners (very good quality, cooked on site by a culinary school graduate), and other supermarket stuff like juice, milk etc etc. You just bring them back to the hotel & reheat. It actually saves $$ because you get good-restaurant quality dinner at much lower price, and no tipping or restaurant tax.

These Extended Stay places are a chain--there are also the Residence Inns, which are part of Marriott. They are higher priced than ES. But they will also be clean. RIs have a very good hot breakfast buffet included.

This kind of chain caters to business travelers who are sent by their companies on temporary assignments of several weeks or months. A room with no kitchen gets expensive to the company because the employee can only eat in restaurants, and the employees also get tired of that; they want to come back to their place at night & relax & not have to go out to eat. Look for this kind of place when you are booking rooms.

Have a wonderful visit!

england
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England accomodation

Here's a couple for you. I've stayed in both of these. Marshfield is more of a Motel. Rooms are OK, location is excellent, good atmosphere to it, road outside isn't too busy

Jeremiah Mason House is lovely and homely and run by a lovely couple. Great for NH and Maine

They are both under $100

http://www.marshfieldinn.com/

http://www.jeremiahmasonhouse.com/

Also check out the lodging section in here ...

http://www.travel-vermont.com/

Hope this helps

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
343 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England accomodation

Hi all!

Thank You very much for all the informations that you have posted. It is very useful informations.

In the meantine we have decided that we will start and end our trip in Boston, and save Washington D.C. for another time.

We look forward to visit New England and except for a trip to New York our first visit in USA.

Thank you very much.

Jesper - Copenhagen, denmark

Woburn...
Level Contributor
108 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New England accomodation

Hi,

Just wanted to mention the city that I live in, Woburn. We are about 12 miles North/West of Boston, we have two major highways, Rt. 95/128 and Rt. 93 and a major Transportation center called the Anderson Transportation Center from which you can get the train to Boston and other points, the Shuttle back and forth to Logan Airport and plenty of taxis. Woburn also boasts almost a dozen hotels (all the major chains), many just off of Rt. 95 or Rt. 93. Lexington and Concord are our neighbors and we are minutes away from Rts. 2 and 3 which will get you to some pretty nice foliage.

Once you get some ideas for hotels, check them out on this site. People leave lots of feedback on hotels so you are not booking blind.

Gerry

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
343 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New England accomodation

Thank you Gerry.

Its nice to hear from people who live in the area and has knowledge about what to do and see.

Take care

Jesper

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New England accomodation

The southwest corner of New Hampshire is a good place to base yourselves. Convenient to Mass, Vermont, Conn,lots of nice b and bs, very scenic and not as commercialized as some other areas. Check www.nhloding.org for lodging choices.

9. Re: New England accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 01:17