We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel boston to d.c.

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
travel boston to d.c.

We are debating among different ways of traveling to and from Boston and D.C., and would particularly appreciate hearing from anyone who has taken the Amtrak regional. What was the experience like: comfort, timeliness? Is it worth it in terms of comfort to pay more and take the Acela? What about buses? We're pretty knowledgable about air travel, but not so much about rail and bus(except for local commuting) within North America. Thank you for any help on this.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: travel boston to d.c.

We've talked about this quite a bit over the past week. May I suggest perusing entries during that time to pick up on how folks feel and some other decision points.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
702 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel boston to d.c.

I do this trip fairly often, and I think air is your best bet unless there are other circumstances (e.g., you're a train buff, don't want to fly for health reasons, etc.).

The Amtrak regional train takes 8 hours and the Acela takes 6:45. The flight is 1:30, so even accounting for the additional airport access, security lines & check-in times, the train is just not competitive with the plane. And if you shop around, you will almost certainly find an airfare that is cheaper than Amtrak.

The Amtrak regional trains are perfectly comfortable -- more spacious than typical airline coach seating, and it's nice to be able to get up and go to the bar car for a snack. Acela's interiors are a bit nicer but generally not worth the premium, in my opinion.

Both trains have pretty good (not perfect) on-time reliability. I recently had some relatives come up from D.C. to Boston and their trains were exactly on time both ways. The trains also tend to fare better than the planes during snowstorms and summer thunderstorms.

I wouldn't really consider the bus unless cost is the primary criterion -- it's a very long trip and you are bound to hit traffic congestion somewhere along the route.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel boston to d.c.

Fly if you can afford it

4. Re: travel boston to d.c.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 21:18