We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cosy capital of the world...again!

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
cosy capital of the world...again!

Hi, my husband and I are total Boston nuts because of the cosy factor and have been there about 6 times...now we're planning another visit - for October - because we've never seen it in the "fall".

Favourite places are Fanueil Hall, Boston Common and the whole Chestnut Hill area. We've been to a concert in Harvard with the Boston Philharmonic, we've been out to Salem....in short - what have we missed??? Does anyone have any fantastic little nuggets of information to make this special place even more special (bearing in mind that I'm nearly 5 months pregnant!!)

Plus, how cold is it likely to be (the last time I was there was January 04 when my hair frozen walking across Boston Common after I left it a bit damp after the shower!)

Thank you in anticipation!!

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cosy capital of the world...again!

PS sorry, that was meant to be Beacon Hill and Chestnut Street I think...

Also was just wondering in terms of hotels - we generally stay out of habit at the Boston Park Plaza - could we be choosing better? Thanks!

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
303 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cosy capital of the world...again!

I'm a Boston nut too, New England in the Fall is the most glorious place to visit. I don't know if you've thought about hiring a car for a day or two. If so, you could drive from Boston into New Hampshire, White Mountains, Lincoln, glorious scenery. Stay at a little B & B ( but be warned you need to book that NOW!). I've been many times in the Fall and the weather has always been cool in the mornings, low 70s and then cool in the evening, but with NE weather you can never be certain, so layers are always the way to go. You could also, always take a train from North Station and go to Rockport. This I would imagine is nicer in the summer but it's such a pretty place I'm sure the Fall would be great too. It only takes around 50mins on the train.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cosy capital of the world...again!

It really depends on what you like to do. For example, several years ago I discovered the glass flower exhibit at the Harvard Museum of Natural History, and I love to direct people there -- it's this elaborate display of plants done in a scientific manner (cross sections of stems, etc) all made out of glass, and it's truly amazing. I've also had out of town guests love the aquarium.

I think if you're looking for romance, you want picturesque boston, right? Try a stroll through the Arnold Arboretum or the Mount Auburn Cemetery (I know, cemetery sounds odd, but it's the country's first garden cemetery, landscaped, and it is beautiful and very historical). The Arboretum is at the Forest Hills stop on the Orange line, and Mount Auburn is in Cambridge -- take the red line to Harvard Square and then the 71 or the 73 bus to Mt. Auburn Street and Aberdeen Ave.

If you like concerts, try to get tickets to the Symphony -- it's a wonderful experience, because Symphony Hall is incredible. Do a matinee and then walk down Huntington Ave. by the Christian Science Reflecting Pool and have dinner at one of the restaurants down at that end of the Prudential (I like Brasserie Jo's).

A trip out of Boston a bit to see the countryside is also very romantic! The suggestion about going north is great, but have you ever been to Rhode Island? Newport is beautiful -- the Cliffwalk, the mansions on Bellevue Ave (some of which give tours -- my favorite is the Astors Beechwood)...and you can get great rates at a B&B in Newport in October. You could rent a car and it's an easy hour's drive. Seaside resort towns off season are incredibly "cosy." For that matter, Cape Cod off season has a similar feel.

Have a great time!

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cosy capital of the world...again!

Thank you both! We'd only be spending a long weekend there - maybe flying in Thursday night and out Monday night but we could still do a train trip.

Both Rockport and Newport sound good and also doable in terms of distance. Cape Cod I've never been to but it's definitely on 'the list' - if not for this trip, for the next (maybe with baby then!)

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cosy capital of the world...again!

When exactly in October were you planning your trip? The reason I ask is the Fall colors. In New England, the leaves change first in the north and later the farther south you go, with coastal areas being the last to change. I live in the Berkshire hills of western Massachussetts. "Peak" time for Fall foliage here tends to be around the 8th of October. If you are not visiting until late October you would see more color in the Boston area and south... if traveling earlier in the month, the White Mountains of New Hampshire, Green Mountains of Vermont or the Berkshire hills of western Massachussetts would be best.

As for locations in Boston and surrounding towns, you may be interested in Lexington and Concord (famous for the revolutionary war), Walden Pond, and Boston's Museum of Science. There is an IMAX Omni theater there which has great shows also. Rockport mention above is great, as well as Gloucester, MA.

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cosy capital of the world...again!

Yes it would be around the second week in October - under a bit of time pressure to go as early as possible because I think they restrict pg women from flying after 26 weeks....so judging by what you've said, Westernmass, there should be plenty of colour to see then - excellent!

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cosy capital of the world...again!

ps Just spotted your suggestion about Gloucester - isn't that where the Perfect Storm was shot? (well the opening scenes at least!!) Would absolutely LOVE to go there...is it far and on a train route?

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cosy capital of the world...again!

Gloucester and Rockport are close to each other and it is the setting for "The Perfect Sorm". I can't recall if they actually filmed there. Someone from the east end of the state should be able to answer that for sure.. and help you with train information. www.MBTA.com is the web site for mass transit, but I'm sure someone else will be jump in here shortly with more info.

Have a great trip, and congratulations in advance on your baby!

Westernmass

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cosy capital of the world...again!

thanks very much - i'm looking forward to both!

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cosy capital of the world...again!

Yes, "The Perfect Storm" - a true story BTW - did involve fishermen from Gloucester, and at least part of the film was shot there. And yes, you can get there on the train. You'd take the same line that runs to Rockport. Another site well worth visiting in Gloucester is the Hammond Castle. The local, Monday-thru-Saturday, transit system (Cape Ann Transit Authority) has a bus route which goes there from near the train station; visit www.canntran.com for timetables.

Rockport may be a destination for many by virtue of its many art galleries and shops, but for me it's a great place to just go and take in the scenery. The sunsets over the ocean are spectacular, even if we *are* on the East Coast lol, and I also love looking out over the water to the Twin Lighthouses from Marmion Way and Eden and Old Penzance Roads. Even when the main commercial district is overrun with visitors, the town has a breezy and laid-back feel to it. You also might be interested in seeing the famous Paper House or taking a walk on Halibut Point; those are some distance north of the center of town but can be reached by CATA bus.

Also on Cape Ann is the town of Essex, scenically situated on salt marshes and best known as an antiquing Mecca and "the birthplace of fried clams." There's also an interesting shipbuilding museum. Bearing in mind that the CATA does not run very often, and never on Sunday, you could catch one of their buses from Gloucester to the Gloucester/Essex town line, from which it's a short stroll to where most of the restaurants and shopping - and the shipbuilding museum - are.

I'll second the recommendation for the Lexington/Concord area, particularly if you're history buffs. An oft-overlooked, and free, attraction in Lexington is the National Heritage Museum. It's located just off Mass. Ave, east of Lexington Center. They have some great permanent exhibits along with interesting short-term installations. Depending on how far along the foliage is, it could be an excellent time for a leaf-peeping drive in this area. From Lexington Center, set out southbound on Waltham St (which then becomes Lexington St when it reaches Waltham, go figure) and go all the way to its far end at Main St. in Waltham. Then turn right, staying on Main St as Route 20 veers leftward; you'll now be on Route 117. That road meanders through heavily wooded sections of the towns of Weston and Sudbury and continues to "apple country." If it's late afternoon, turn south from 117 onto Route 62 in the town of Stow and follow 62 down to the Wachusett Reservoir - another prime spot for amazing sunsets.

The key to answering your weather question would be knowing when in October you'll be here. Earlier in the month it's still warm and mild during the day, somewhat cooler at night, with not too much rain. More often than not, though, we've had our first frost by All Hallows Eve and there's definitely a hint of winter in the air. The safest plan would be to bring along jackets and sweaters of varying weight which could easily be added or shed.