We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Boston with kids and elderly mom

New York, NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Boston with kids and elderly mom

I have never been to Boston and would like advice on how to spend Memorial Day weekend in Boston arriving Friday evening, leaving Monday evening. Staying in Back Bay. Recommendations about places to visit, where to eat, etc. would be appreciated. My mother is still a good walker, my kids are 7 and 12 yrs old. My preference is always to keep it simple.

Thanks in advance.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,074 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Boston with kids and elderly mom

Get yourself an on-off trolly tour. It will bring you near many of hte major sites where you'll be able to get off, explore in more detai, and then get back on the trolly.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,924 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Boston with kids and elderly mom

The typical Boston things include taking a trolley, Duckboat or walking tour of the city, walking the historic Freedom Trail, strolling through the Common and Public Garden, window shopping on Newbury Street, spending a block of time at Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market, and taking an excursion to Harvard Square and Harvard Yard. You may want to add a museum or two, like the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum or the Museum of Fine Art. And, of course, have at least one Italian meal in the North End and at least a snack in Quincy Market.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,767 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Boston with kids and elderly mom

If you can squeeze it in you can take the boys to the Museum of Science and catch the Duck Tour boat right outside the museum i think you and mom and the boys would love it.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Boston with kids and elderly mom

Thank you all for the recommendations and advice.

MB

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Boston with kids and elderly mom

There is a place in Chinatown where you cook bits of meat & veggies in pots of boiling broth right on your table. Your kids are old enough not to try to climb into the pots & wd probably love the dining concept.

http://www.shabuzen.com/menu.html

Depending on tastes, the Isabella S. Gardner Museum is a really classic "lady-place," wonderful for Girls' Day Out--- 7 & 12 yr olds might find a long time in there a bit much. Although it is not like any museum they have ever seen -- Isabella had the house built to accomodate the collection. They have a cafe in there where you can get a nice lunch. You wd take the T to get to it & it's pretty easy; check out the MBTA website for routes, etc.

Now that the highway is not blocking access to the waterfront, there is a large beautiful park, great for strolling around & harbor views. You can go to the Qunicy Market area & get something to eat, & let the kids sit outside enjoying the buskers that are always present on weekends.

You can also take the ferry across the harbor to Old Ironsides, if you think the kids wd like to make that pilgrimage.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Boston with kids and elderly mom

We'll be staying at the Lenox; I would welcome tips/information about places nearby where we can have affordable, but good meals.

Thanks again,

MB

7. Re: 3 days in Boston with kids and elderly mom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2009, 07:16