We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum of Fine arts on Wed evening?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Museum of Fine arts on Wed evening?

We arrive at Logan at 1:30 on a Wednesday. I see that the MoFA is free at 4pm and open until after 9. If we decide to drive there after getting our car and some lunch, will we be able to find some place to park? Is it really crowded since it's free? Also, is there someplace near the museum (or on the way) to get some lunch? Last, when will traffic die down for us to head to our hotel in Braintree?

THANKS!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum of Fine arts on Wed evening?

First, see if your hotel has a shuttle that will pick you up at the Airport and also whether they have a shuttle that will take you to the "T" Subway Station. If the answer(s) are "yes", then I highly recommend that you don't rent a car, but instead avail yourself of these services.

The Museum of Fine Art has some limited parking, albeit expensive, but they have major construction going on there, so I'm not sure how much is actually available. There also is some on-street parking, but not much and the mueseum is usually very busy at that time. I would suggest the "T" instead. By the way, where were you going to park when you go for lunch?

If I sound a little discouraging about the car, it's because I am. Parking Downtown will cost you around $30 a day and Boston is not very easy to negotiate if you don't know you're way around.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum of Fine arts on Wed evening?

Alanm, we are staying in Plymouth for the first couple of nights of our trip (in my original post I said braintree). We are renting a car because we want to make a day trip to the cape and MV the first couple of days and then drive up to Lexingtion/Concord. We will not be driving into Boston from our hotel. But we need if for the first few days and it's really not too much more to keep it for the entire trip and since we don't have a hotel in the city, it could come in handy in the suburbs.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
47 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum of Fine arts on Wed evening?

If you are set on driving, while expensive, I would highly recommend parking in the garage over the (limited) street parking). The area along the Fens is known for car break ins - day or night.

There is a nice cafe for lunch at the Museum. Otherwise, you'd be better stopping off in nearby areas like Back Bay, Fenway or South End for a bite. The area immediately around the museum has mostly fast food for the nearby colleges (Northeastern, Mass Art).

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum of Fine arts on Wed evening?

I believe I'd drive up Route 3, park cheaply at the Quincy Adams Red Line "T" station (big sign over the freeway), take the Red Line and "E" Green Line to the MFA stop, right in front of the museum. I think this optimizes convenience and cost.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum of Fine arts on Wed evening?

If you are staying in Plymouth, I would drive to the nearest "T" station and leave the car and take the T to the musuem. It will be way less expensive and your nerves will thank you.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum of Fine arts on Wed evening?

To your other question, yes, the museum can be crowded on a Wednesday evening, but is seldom "too" crowded. Even in the most popular galleries, there are still times when it thins out. And so that you're not misled, be prepared to pay to enter any special exhibition that's underway. And possibly to have to wait for your place in the "timed" - paced - admission process for it.

7. Re: Museum of Fine arts on Wed evening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 06:24