We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Suggestions for Jul 4th w/e

New York
13 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant Suggestions for Jul 4th w/e

All experts please chime in with your opinions;

Firstly looking for lunch recommendation near the prudential centre (after duck tour) on Fri Jul 3rd.

That evening we will be dining at Atlantic Fish.

Second - Finding a great restaurant in the Backbay area (or within 30 mins by foot) to enjoy the July 4th festivities - I realise that getting a restaurant with a view of the fireworks is near impossible (I tried Dante but they have a private event that evening)

Thanks for all the advise....with regards to food we love seafood/italian etc....

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Jul 4th w/e

Within 30 minutes by foot of the Back Bay puts you in a lot of neighborhoods including the South End, North End, Beacon Hill and Downtown....have you done a search to see if anything appeals to you? Restaurants suggestions are requested and given virtually every day, so it depends how much you want to spend and what kind of place you are looking for.

I wouldn't plan on going to a place in the Back Bay that doesn't take reservations, by the way.

New York
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Jul 4th w/e

Thanks Veronica.

I believe the North End has some great Italian restaurants, can you recommend any ?

Also is there any good/well known lunch spots in the backbay area ?

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Jul 4th w/e

For some place nice & hardly ever gets mentioned here what about Davio's? If it's during the week it's open from 11:30 to 3PM Monday to Friday. I know that would be pretty nice if you decide to go there, the cuisine is wonderful there too.

Getting to the Esplanade early is the key for the best best time & viewing the fireworks. Storrow Drive is closed to traffic and open to pedestrians on July 4th, so remember that. I'm not sure exactly what time they close it. There's always plenty of room though along there if you decide to walk later on in the day to view them. You can hear the pops and stand right under the fireworks any where along there. The Mass Ave bridge gets way way too crowded. Don't even bother with the embankment unless you show up before noon. It gets so crowded there that it becomes a dangerous shoving match, so watch out thru there.

As a thought, you could join the Museum of Science and go to their roof top for a birds eye view of everything. You could bring some folding chairs & a cooler and spend the day there, it would be great. It's just something to think about.

Get a reservation on one of the many boats going out to view them. One of them that I hear about a lot is this one, it's Community Boating & it offers seating on the dock for up to 1000 people. It's to raise money for the Junior Program, so all children 10 to 18 can sail all summer for $1. That's a pretty neat idea to me, don't you agree? Not only is it the best view, but it's the most family-oriented setting imaginable and year after year it's seen on the harbor without fail. Here's their live webcam to check it out. This is just one of many boats in the harbor that you could find out about: www.community-boating.org/cbicam/

Another thought for you is to get a room at one of these 3 hotels for a bird's eye view of the fireworks. Either the Westin Copley Place Hotel, get one of their high floors facing Boston. The Royal Sonesta get a room facing the Charles River IF you can OR the Hotel Marlowe get one of the rooms facing Boston, if you can.

OR go over to the Hyatt Hotel at the airport and see if you can view the fireworks from their outdoor patio, it's a beautiful spot, but I'm quite sure hundreds of others have thought of that already themselves!

Wherever you watch it, have a wonderful time!

Just my two cents again...

Somerville
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Jul 4th w/e

Viewing from the Museum of Science's roof could be expensive. First you have to get a membership - $70 and up, then it's $25 per adult and $15 per child (3 years old to 11 years old).

L4R
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Jul 4th w/e

Davio's is a great suggestion, for some reason I always forget to recommend it. Haven't tried the one in Boston, just the one at Patriots Place in Foxboro, but I'm sure all locations are great. It's pricey for dinner, but very reasonable for lunch.

Boston
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Jul 4th w/e

Hi,

Italian in the Back Bay...no views...they do take reservations and credit cards. Good food!

Giacomo's

431 Columbus Ave, Boston, MA 02116-5958

Tel: (617) 536-5723

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Jul 4th w/e

For your lunch on July 3rd, I would recommend the Top Of the Hub. (It's on top floor of the Prudential Center) Hopefully, they have extended their lunch prix-fixe.You cannot get a better view of the city from up there. (I know it's a day early but it still offers a great view.)

www.topofthehub.net/restaurant_menus.php

austin
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Jul 4th w/e

Re: Top of the Hub, is there a dress code for lunch or dinner? Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Jul 4th w/e

Abe and Louies is generally dependable for lunch, as is Sel de La Terre. Did you want a more casual place, though?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Jul 4th w/e

RE Top of Hub dress code: "Business attire is required during lunch in the dining room. More casually dressed diners may eat in the lounge. For both lunch and dinner, business casual or casual chic are appropriate. Jacket and tie are not required. We request that diners remove their hats and refrain from wearing cutoffs or tank tops in the dining room.