We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Boston, "off the beaten path" places

Florida
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One day in Boston, "off the beaten path" places

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I'm going to be in Boston on a Sunday in July. One of the people I'm traveling with has a flight that is departing out of Logan at around 11am while mine doesn't depart until 7pm so we plan on checking our bags around 930am. I want to take this opportunity to look around Boston for a little bit. I've been a handful of times so I've seen the common touristy things. The only thing in my plans are to visit Tufts and Boston University campus as I plan to hopefully attend one of these locations for dental school. I looked up the route on the T and I'll be taking the Blue from the airport and switch on to the Orange and get off at the NE Medical Plaza stop. This sound right to anyone? Anyways, after that my whole day is open and I wanted to see things "off the beaten path" I guess you could say. You know, places that aren't as well known but places you love to go to.

It'll just be me and someone else in their 20s as well but we're up for anything. Thanks :)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Boston, "off the beaten path" places

Your directions are correct for the dental school. On a July summer day, I like to check out if there are any special events, walk around Castle Island, walk the Boston Harborwalk, take a boat ride to one of the Boston Harbor Islands, go to a baseball game... those are just a few ideas.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Boston, "off the beaten path" places

If you might be attending Tufts or BU, you could check out Davis Square and Allston (especially around Comm/Harvard Aves) to see areas you could potentially be living in, or at least, spending a good chunk of time in

Boston...
Level Contributor
150 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Boston, "off the beaten path" places

Tufts Dental school is in Chinatown, while BU Dental School is in S End. There's no reason to head out to Davis Sq or Allston to check out the undergrad campuses.

There are plenty of historic homes to visit if you're into that, such as the Nichols House, Gibson House, Otis House, all in the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Or, you can head to Arboretum, or Mount Auburn Cemetery for a stroll.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Boston, "off the beaten path" places

Ooops, you're right.

Still, I wouldn't cross it off the list. My favorite thing to do when I travel is to check out less touristy neighborhoods to get a glimpse at how local residents live. Allston has a huge selection of various ethnic restaurants and tons of bars, so you may like that.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Boston, "off the beaten path" places

A great off the beaten path is the Back Bay area. I had the opportunity to walk from my cousins home off of Rutland Street back to my hotel in Copley which was about a mile. There are a number of beautifully restored neighborhoods of brownstone homes with lovely landscaping to wander through. Also, a number of very trendy but not touristy restaurants and pubs dotted throughout the area. I am going to try to upload some photos and if you check my profile in a couple of days they should appear.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Boston, "off the beaten path" places

Head to the South End and have brunch somewhere on or near Tremont Street. Wander through the side streets and enjoy the architecture. Union Park is a beautiful street. Check out the South End Open Market at 540 Harrsion.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Boston, "off the beaten path" places

If you do end up cruising thru the South End, head to the Back Bay & tour the Christian Science Church in Boston. Regardless of your religious affiliation, it's great to see this amazing architecture. The Mapparium, part of the Christian Science Center, is really fun to walk through:

http://www.marybakereddylibrary.org/exhibits/

mapparium

If you end up wanting to take off out of the City, off the beaten path would be Ipswich, instead of Salem, Gloucester or Rockport where all the thousands of tourists go, especially in the summer months. Ipswich is celebrating 375 years and there's so many neat things to do up thru there for day trips. A lot of various fun events, especially over the summer.

I did this one before, it was really neat:

Concert Series at Castle Hill:

Bring a picnic dinner to enjoy on the grounds of the Crane Estate! Musical artists to be announced. Concerts are canceled in case of rain and not rescheduled.

Thursdays, July-August, 2009 from 5 to 9 pm

Castle Hill, Argilla Road, Ipswich, 978-356-4351

Admission fee.

You could also check the Ipswich site for various events & happenings in the town:

http://www.ipswichma375.org/events/

Another thought is you could head to Essex, the next town over from Ipswich and cruise the Essex River:

This wonderful little tour meanders up Cape Ann through the salt marshes and out into open sea, all set to some very soft, majestic (classical!) music with their very animated and informative Captain cruising & guiding you along. I did their two-hour Saturday cruise before; it's wonderful. I remember there's even free coffee and muffins onboard. You get to hear about the history of the area, the families who've lived and died thru there, the wealthy summer residents. He tells you about the movie "The Crucible" (which was filmed out there), and also you'll hear all about nature - the various birds, the grass, dunes, clams, and tides. The two canopied boats have plenty of seating too, so you don't have to worry about a seat on it. It would definitey be off the beaten path for you, NO doubt in my mind either!

www.essexcruises.com

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Boston, "off the beaten path" places

Davis Square out by Tufts is a great place to spend the afternoon.

I'd check out lunch at Dave's Fresh Pasta http://www.davesfreshpasta.com/ or Red Bones http://www.redbones.com/ and then maybe head over to the Burren for a beer.

From there you can T to Harvard Square for further exploration.

Great area!

Enjoy visiting,

SeaportConcierge

www.seaportboston.com

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Boston, "off the beaten path" places

It might make the most sense to explore the areas near those two dental schools - Chinatown/theater district, and the South End. Both are worth a little bit of time. The South End is very pretty and labyrinthine in an appealing way (be sure to bring a map), with lots of good restaurants. If you end up with a little bit of extra time, why not head towards the downtown Boston waterfront, look around a bit there and then take the water taxi to the airport? I don't think you really have time to go way out of town, though.

10. Re: One day in Boston, "off the beaten path" places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 06:19