We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Question

Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation Question

If I am able to get a really good package deal staying in downtown Boston will I be able to get to Salem, Plymouth, Concord, Glouchestire (sic) and Lexingotn without renting a car. (Tours perhaps) I am hoping to hit as many historical spots as possible with my son but I have heard driving in and around Boston is a nightmare.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Question

You can get to Salem via commuter rail or Ferry boat (now thru end of October). Once there, there's lots w/in walking distance of the train or ferry and you can also pick up a hop on/hop off trolley tour.

Lexington and Concord can be handled w/ the Liberty Ride: http://www.libertyride.us/libertyride.html

Plymouth and Gloucester are a bit trickier.

Commuter rail goes to Cape Ann/Gloucester and there's buses around the Cape Ann area, but I'm not sure how easy they are to navigate.

You can get a bus to Plymouth, but again, once there, I don't know if there's other transportation.

Greyline offers tours:

grayline.com/Grayline/…

Happy planning!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,760 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Question

You didn't say how long you were staying. There are lots of historic sites in the city that are within walking distance, enough to fill many days. if you still feel that urge to drive somewhere, you can rent your car after your Boston stay and hit Concord, Lexington, Gloucester (no sic) and Plymouth over a period of a few days. Just don't rent the car for when you're in the city, as you'll have to search out parking spaces for $30+ every time you park.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation Question

Take an organized tour(s), or rent a car and bring or rent a GPS. Forget about public trans.

The traffic's not bad outside rush hours, except for the occasional disaster scenario.

Salem & Gloucester you can combine in one trip; they're both 45 mins - 1 hr NNW of the city.

Plymouth: 1 hour south straight shot on I-93 then State Rt 3 towards Cape Cod.

Lexington & Concord you can combine: 45 mins NW. Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90 W) to State Rt 128/I-95 North to State Rt 2 West.

Since you obviously have a historical bent, you probably want to stay in Boston.

If the Boston hotel package doesn't materialize, an alternative would be to stay in Braintree or Quincy near one of their "T" stops. Both are 5 - 10 miles south of Boston.

That would put you an easy 25 min subway ride from downtown, and right next to the highways that go to all of the other places.

You'd also be able to easily add the Adams Historical Park to your list as the United First Parish Church is across the street from the Quincy Center "T" station and the house is about a half mile away.

4. Re: Transportation Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 07:18