We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College tour

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
College tour

do i need a car if i am visiting Babson, Boston C, BU, Northeastern and Tufts. Also, would staying at hilton Boston fin'l district be convenient? Thanks!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College tour

The Hilton Financial is not really close to any of these colleges (Tufts would be closest) but you can get to them by taking the T. You do not need a car, although Babson is quite aways from the city. For visiting the others you might consider the Hilton Back Bay - which is somewhat closer. I have stayed at both of them and they are very nice.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: College tour

BC, BU and Northeastern are all on the Green Line Subway, so the Copley Square Area would be ideal for those. You could also take the Framingham/Worcester Commuter Rail from Back Bay Station as well for Babson, although you'd have to get the end-point detail directions from Babson. See mbta.com for schedule. Lots of hotels in that area, including the Copley Plaza, the Westin and Marriott in Copley Place, Charlesmark, etc. For Tufts, it would be an extra transfer step, but still very doable.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,575 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College tour

It doesn't make much difference if you are in the Finacial District or Back Bay for your visits. You can get to all of those colleges by subway from either place, except Babson.

The Back Bay, though is a more active, interesting location than the Financial District.

For Tufts, you can take the Red Line to Davis Square, then it is a good walk, probably about a mile to the center of campus. But, it is not a bad walk and perfectly safe.

As noted Babson is tough to get to without a car. You would have to take the commuter rail out to Wellesley and then a cab to the campus.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College tour

There's a T bus that runs from Davis Square to the Tufts campus.

From their website:

http://admissions.tufts.edu/?pid=137

Subway

If you are coming by subway, or “T”, take the Red Line to the Davis Square Station. Exit the Davis Square Station on the College Avenue side. You may take the #94 or #96 bus or walk 15 minutes along College Avenue to the Tufts campus. If you board the bus, ask the driver to stop across from the Memorial Steps at Tufts University, just before the intersection of College and Boston Avenues. If you walk, turn right out of the subway station and follow College Avenue to the Powderhouse Square traffic circle. Cross College Avenue here, then continue on College Avenue across Broadway and Powderhouse Boulevard. The Tufts Campus will be on your left. Continue on College Avenue, passing Lower Campus Road, Talbot Avenue, and Professors Row (all of which will be on your left), until you reach the Memorial Steps (also on your left). Walk up the steps and bear right. The undergraduate admissions office is in Bendetson Hall, the fifth building on your right. The graduate admissions office is across the quad from Bendetson Hall in Ballou Hall.

The Babson website recommends the T's Greenline to Woodlawn and then a taxi or Commuter Rail to Wellesley Hills as already mentioned and a taxi. Their website lists local taxi companies. In the suburbs, you usually need to call and arrange for them to pick you up. It's doubtful there'll be just hanging out at the station just waiting for a fare.

http://www3.babson.edu/visiting/

I went to Babson nights for more years than I care to own up to, eventually earning my Master's. ONCE when I had car problems I took the green line back downtown from Woodlawn. It was a long, slow ride.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: College tour

While driving around boston can be difficult, one thing to consider if you are visiting all these places is the timing. Can you make all the tours, interviews, etc if you are reliant on the T?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: College tour

Thanks, everyone for the detailed. I read that the Back Bay Hilton is not as accommodating to diamond members and that the Hilton in the fin'l district and even the Boston airport is more accommodating. Good point on the timing, we only have 2 1/2 days to visit Babson (1/2 day), BC/BU (full day), Northeastern and Tufts (full day). I guess we could stay at the airport, rent a car to go to Babson, return car to airport and just commute by rail to the rest of the schools. Does this sound doable and convenient?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: College tour

That actually sounds like a good plan. Do Babson wiht a car on the first or last day and then the others.

You don't need to stay at the airport to do that. You can rent a car downtown. The only issue is that some downtown places close early, so if you can't have the car back before they close, then renting at the airport may be a better option.

BUT ... staying downtown is always more fun than staying at the airport.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: College tour

I agree to stay downtown. The Logan hilton is very nice and the best of the three. You will have a better trip being downtown.

Getting to Babson is a little confusing. Make sure you work out the directions before hitting the road.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: College tour

If you're renting a car for one day, you might consider squeezing in BC before or after Babson, if possible. BC is accessible on the Green Line trolley, but it is a very long ride.

BU and Northeastern are much closer to downtown and fairly close to each other, so those two would be easily combined.

As mentioned, for Tufts you can either walk from Davis Square (red line) or take the 96 bus.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: College tour

Hi all. This is my most current plan and can not make up my mind on Hilton back bay or Hilton Fin'l District. Thoughts?

Day 1 arrive Logan airport, visit Babson (maybe rent a car)

Day 2 9:30 BC, BU return car in pm.

Day 3 Tufts, Northeastern or vice versa by T

Day 4 Leave Boston for NYC via Acela Can take from South or Back bay station.

Also, which hotel is better, safer, and most convenient. Appreciate the feedbacks so far...