We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few Boston questions

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wales, UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Few Boston questions

Hi all,

I have few questions for the experts. We are spending one week in Boston at the end of August and this is our 3rd trip, we just love the place and have explored the most of the city already, so this time we just want to relax and take it easy, although we are planning a day trip to Cape Cod, and planning to take a ferry for a day trip. I have seen that the prices are around $80 return per passenger, does anyone know is there a student discount available and discount to the serving military personnel?

Can anyone suggest a good place for a Sunday brunch close to our hotel (Omni Parker House), we usually get a bagel just down the road of our hotel on the weekday, but we would like to try proper American breakfast (scrambled eggs etc), so any suggestion/advice is welcomed. As a military man my self, I would like to visit some gun shops and do some target practicing, are they any venues/shops within the Boston, as I am not aware of your state gun laws. I know that there was one shop in Newbury street that was selling military kit/clothing and one opposite the Macy’s close to our hotel, arethey any other that you might know.

We are also thinking visiting the Providence for a day trip, is it worth it, as bus takes about 1hrs, just to see the city and walk around, check some shops, eat something etc. many thanks to all with the answers. And see you in Boston at the end of August.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few Boston questions

I am a huge fan of Providence, heading there this morning actually in the rain for a day off- its a very walkable, pretty city with excellent restaurants. But you do need to walk. The local buses don't drive around the areas that tourists find nice. Be prepared to walk some very steep hills towards Brown University which is worth it as the views are great. You can stroll around the Brown U area, and along the canal that starts from Rt 95 where the shopping mall is over to the Bay. I would try to find a street map for tourists of the city. Shops along South Main St are nice, you might like the mall next to Rt 95, shopping on Thayer Street, etc but do get a map. Also go to www.Waterfire.org and check out the waterfire schedule where they light fires in containers along the canal and play wonderful music and there are street vendors. This is an evening event, several times over the summer, usually on Sat nights but sometimes more. Prov is well worth at least a full day in my opinion!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Few Boston questions

I believe there is student discount for the ferry,but you can check yourself at Boston Harbor Cruises. And you can't beat the brunch right there at the Parker House, Boston's most historic hotel.

nh
Level Contributor
247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few Boston questions

If you are going to go to Providence, RI you should really make it a two day trip and visit the Mansions in Newport.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few Boston questions

"military kit/clothing" store: I believe you are referring to what we call an "Army/Navy Surplus" store here in the States. There is an Army/Navy surplus store maybe three blocks from the Parker House. It is on Washington St, between Winter and West.

I don't recall if the Army/Navy store is still open on Newbury. I don't usually shop there, so I didn't pay attention. There used to be another one on Boylston Street, one block parallel from Newbury, but again I don't know if it is still in business.

If you make it to any one of these stores, they may be able to direct you to a firing range. There is one north of town I know of, but it is not accessible via public transport.

For an American breakfast, walk up Beacon Street, down to Charles Street, and visit the Paramount Restaurant.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Few Boston questions

For breakfast I would agree with The Paramount. If you want something closer and faster, there are several places around The State House. One would be up Beacon on the left.

As far as brunch...how much do you want to spend and how much time do you spend having it?

The Paramount might be something nice to save for Sunday. It is busy but it moves. Probably no champagne but I know they at least serve wine.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few Boston questions

One additional American brunch idea: at the Skipjack's restaurant in Back Bay (on Clarendon St.) they have a great jazz brunch on Sundays. There are a lot of the typical American things, and with a few seafood things as well (it's a seafood restaurant). I think the food is pretty good there.

I also like Providence a lot. You would indeed need to walk up and down hills, to see the good stuff, but it is very walkable and very beautiful. It's also a funky college town. In fact, the two main colleges are both famous: Brown University (in the Ivy League, beautiful campus, JFK Jr. went here) and Rhode Island School of Design. The latter recently opened a new museum which is very nice, and quite small.

The ferry to Cape Cod -- is this what you mean? I think the only ferry from Boston to the Cape goes to Provincetown. Provincetown is really great. I am not sure how many hours you would get there, but I've heard of people doing this as a daytrip and enjoying it. You have the chance to see whales while on the boat, I think.

I am not connected to the military or gun clubs but I know there are at least a couple of shooting ranges or shooting clubs in the suburbs of Boston. You might need to search on Google. Perhaps they would allow a visitor to come for just a day.

Wales, UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few Boston questions

Thank you all for your replies with useful info, we will definitely go for a day trip to the Cape and visit Providence. I have had look for a different transport options with regards to the day trip to Providence, and have seen that Peter pan busses are quite frequent on that route for around $20 return per person, do you think that this is the beast way to get there, is the bust terminal/station central in the city? What about commuter rail or AMTRAK from Boston, we are looking for convenience and price, if you know what I mean as the British Pound is not to strong over US$. The Paramount sounds great for brunch, I a not a sea food fan but I am sure that I will be able to find something tasty (chicken sandwich, egg omelette, pancakes etc), what is usual price for a Sunday brunch? Once again thank you all for the previous info and lets hope that the weather will be better there than here in 4 weeks time.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Few Boston questions

The bus is the cheapest way to get to P-Town and it's convenient (the terminal is in South Station, which is on the Red Line). It's the longest and least comfortable though, so "best" is all relative.

If you plan to go on a Friday or Saturday, get ready for a long ride.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few Boston questions

There is no rail option to the Cape.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Few Boston questions

If you are going to providence mid-week, take commuter rail ... it is cheaper than amtrak and more comfortable than the bus.