We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Suggestions

California
8 posts
Save Topic
Boston Suggestions

My family is visiting Boston in August. We will be staying at the Westin Copley for 3 nights. Here are my tentative plans. By the way, we love to eat, dont mind walking, enjoy history but not big on musuems.

Arrive at 4pm logan, check in and catch a sox game that night.

First day: Duck Tour in the morning, lunch at reginas pizza. Freedom trail in the afternoon. Dinner at the summer shack?? (Can we do all this)

Second day: Help me fill in the blanks of must do's.

Family of 5(kids are 16, 14 and 11)

Thanks for your input.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Suggestions

Do you already have tickets for the Sox game? If not, try to find some now and expect to pay a premium. It may be difficult to get 5 seats together. I suggest Stubhub or Ace tickets.

"Walking the Freedom Trail" is hard to time. I don't think an afternoon is enough time, especially since you plan to have lunch pretty much in the middle of the Freedom Trail.

The Freedom trail is walk that links historically significant locales in a geographically logical walking path. It's about 2.5 miles, but how you handle it is up to you. Some people just walk from the beginning to the end, barely stopping to see anything. Others like to enter all the buildings, (some for a fee) read the gravestones, look at things in detail, etc, etc. Most do something in between the two extremes.

I'd suggest after lunch you visit Paul Revere's house and the old north church (both in the North end and part of hte freedom trail) and then head over to the USS Constitution. (Unless it's Monday because the USS Constitution is closed on Mondays ...). If it's monday, skip the north end sites, and follow the Freedom Trail out of the north end towards Faniuel hall and walk it back to the Common.

On your 2nd day, you can do the parts of the Freedom trail what you didn't on day one.

Other things that might be interesting ... the Public Garden, if it's hot, take a boat ride and visit one or more of the Harbor Islands.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Suggestions

I think that forgotmypword gave excellent advice. I would just add this: another option to do the main sights in Boston is one of the trolley tours. While you will have done the Duck Tour already, for that tour you can't get on and off and you spend a lot of time going in the river. But the trolleys would be useful to you with your kids. They go along most or all of the Freedom Trail and give their narration, but you can jump on and jump off all day at their prearranged stops. This is especially good if you do go over to the USS Constitution, which I highly recommend but which is not in downtown Boston. I think kids really love it, too. there is also a World War II destroyer moored there that you can explore. Cool stuff. I like the idea of taking a ferry out to the Harbor Islands. The main stop at George's Island would be enough -- also great for kids. There is a huge, huge old stone fort there and you can explore it all. Great views from the ramparts, you see other islands, lighthouses, etc. and it's delightfully old and just a bit creepy. There's a concession stand on the island. The boat ride is quite pleasant too.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Suggestions

Summer shack is a great choice for dinner - everyone will love it.

4. Re: Boston Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 06:18