We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to Stop on the Way to Boston

Detroit
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Places to Stop on the Way to Boston

Our family is driving from Detroit to Boston in mid-August. We will be stopping in Cooperstown for a day atb tne Baseball Hall of Fame but will still have one day before we need to be in Boston for a medical appointment. Can someone recommend a place to stop (or spend a night) that has family activities on the drive from Cooperstown to Boston. I don't know what is North/Northwest of Boston that is family-friendly.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to Stop on the Way to Boston

Why not spend your second night in Springfield, Mass and visit the Basketball Hall of Fame?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to Stop on the Way to Boston

The Stockbrige/Lenox area in the western Berkshires isn't especially kid-oriented, but it's beautiful, there's a lot to do there, and your family might enjoy the Norman Rockwell Museum.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to Stop on the Way to Boston

I think I would just spend the extra day in Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
69 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to Stop on the Way to Boston

If Cambridge is not on your list to visit when you're here, if you have the time, I would add the extra night lodging onto your Boston hotel and take the T to Cambridge.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to Stop on the Way to Boston

One idea would be Northampton, Mass. I'm not sure what you mean by family friendly but this is a very charming, walkable, arty town that also includes Smith College. When you drive to Boston from Cooperstown, I'm pretty sure you would normally get yourself on to the Mass Turnpike (I-90) and this goes east-west. Northampton is a little way off I-90 but not too far if I remember correctly. North of Boston, however, there are some very fun little towns on what we call the "North Shore" and Cape Ann. For example, Rockport, Marblehead, Salem, Newburyport. Cape Ann is pretty family friendly I think, but at times there is traffic since it's a popular daytrip and a popular destination all-around. Salem might be good for you, with its historic sights and waterfront. I am fond of Marblehead. All of these town would be pretty good and driving around Cape Ann is fun.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to Stop on the Way to Boston

Check out Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires.

www.jiminypeak.com/accounts/69/homepage/

Lots of stuff for the kids.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to Stop on the Way to Boston

The Town of Sturbridge (right off the Mass Pike) would be my first choice, although it's a little closer to Boston than some of the other places suggested. The town is beautiful and has a range of lodgings, but my favorite is the 18th-century Publick House on the common. The view is beautiful, and the food is great.

The main local attraction is Old Sturbridge Village (www.osv.org), and I highly recommend spending a day there. If you have kids, they'll learn a lot about early American history and have loads of fun in the process.

8. Re: Places to Stop on the Way to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 07:19