We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking the MBTA from cruise ship to Faneuil Hall

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
396 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Taking the MBTA from cruise ship to Faneuil Hall

Ok I have read forum after forum and studied the MBTA web site so now I am asking if I have it all worked out. We will be on a cruise and want to go from Port to Faneuil Hall and back.

1. Walk to Dry Dock Ave. & Design Center Place.

2. Catch the bus (silver Line) S12 to So. Station

3. Take Red Line to Downtown Crossing

4. Take Orange Line to State Street.

Then walk to Faneuil Hall

Now to return back to the ship

1.Walk to State St. Orange Line

2. Take Orange line to Downtown Crossing

3. Take Take Red Line to South Station

4. Take S12 to Black Falcon Ave & Design Center Place

Can some one please tell me if there is any problem with this. Do I have it all correct?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking the MBTA from cruise ship to Faneuil Hall

Oh Yes, there is one more question. We are Senior Citizens so I think the fare is 60Cents, correct?

So do we get one ticket for the entire trip. Do we just use the same ticket and slide it through the gate, will it be good for the whole trip.. Bus, Red line, orange line? Thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking the MBTA from cruise ship to Faneuil Hall

You do have it correctly. However, you may wish to consider joing with a few others and taking a taxi instead. Shouldn't be much more per person with a group and will be so much easier and faster.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
985 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking the MBTA from cruise ship to Faneuil Hall

You have it basically correct. You may want to consider taking the Green Line instead of the Orange Line just because the station transfers are easier. You would change to/from the Red Line at Park instead of Downtown Crossing and get off at Government Center instead of State. Government Center is about a block farther away from Faneuil Hall than State, but it's not much difference. Your route would work well too.

You need to pay only one fare in each direction. Just don't accidentally go thru an exit gate any of the intermediate transfer points.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
985 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking the MBTA from cruise ship to Faneuil Hall

One other thing, I don't think you can get a senior fare without an MBTA ID card, but ask the station attendant. They may be able to help if you are out of towners and have senior ID of some sort.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking the MBTA from cruise ship to Faneuil Hall

Thanks to everyone. This TA is so helpful. I used it every time I travel.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking the MBTA from cruise ship to Faneuil Hall

I agree, I do believe you need a Senior Charlie Card to get the senior discount.

Another option is to take a water taxi from Black falcon to Long Wharf and then walk from there. You can take a the T back if you wish. I believe you can get a group discount if you arrange it ahead of time. It is a nice way to see the city. (I think the quoted $20.00 per person rate is from the Black Falcon to Logan Airport, call or email them for the rates from Black Falcon to Long Wharf. I believe it is $10.00 and cheaper with a group.)

http://www.citywatertaxi.com/taxi_stops.htm

www.roweswharfwatertaxi.com/services.html

Tennessee
Level Contributor
396 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking the MBTA from cruise ship to Faneuil Hall

How far of a walk is it from Long Wharf to Faneuil Hall?

Somerville
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking the MBTA from cruise ship to Faneuil Hall

Ten minutes, maybe fifteen if the traffic lights are against you.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking the MBTA from cruise ship to Faneuil Hall

It is 0.4 miles, approximately a 7-10 minute walk. It is a nice walk. From Long Wharf, you walk across the Rose Kennedy Greenway to Faneuil Hall.

10. Re: Taking the MBTA from cruise ship to Faneuil Hall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 07:19