We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching/Provncetown

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
arubabliss
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Whale Watching/Provncetown

My DH and I are visiting Boston for a total of 3 days in August. I was interested in whale watching and planned to take the ferry over to Provincetown and do the whale watching tour with Dolphin Fleet Whale Watching in Provincetown.

I just realized that you can take whale watching tours out of Boston and therefore, avoid the $79 pp ferry fee. Is there any difference in quality between the Boston ones and Provincetown?

Also, what else is there to do in Provincetown?

Thanks so much! This forum has been ultra helpful :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching/Provncetown

There is no difference in quality between Boston and Provincetown. All the whale watching companies go to Stellwagen Bank regardless of where you take the trip from. What is worth noting is each locations proximity to the Bank. Provincetown is much closer so you have more time on station to see the whales. Boston's trip takes longer to get on station. Seeing that you're going to be in Boston, just take the whale watch from here. There is no sense in going to P-town just to have all your time there spent whale watching. Going to P-town for the day from Boston is another story. It's definitely worth it. P-town is quite the happening place in the summer. Lots to do and definitely lots to see.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching/Provncetown

The whale watches all end up in the same place, so you'll get as good of a tour out of Boston as P-town.

There's LOTS to do in P-town ... gallery hopping, casual dining, fine dining, Art's Dune Tours, bike rentals, going to the beach via summer shuttle bus or bike, people watching at its best ....

But my opinion is I wouldn't go to P-town just to go on a whalewatch and if I only had one day ... I would take he ferry all the way to P-town just to board another boat for a 3+ hour trip when the town itself has so much to offer.

Boston itself has a lot to offer. I'm not so sure I'd bother leaving if I only had 3 days here .... I think I'd do the whalewatch from here and save P-town for next time.

I don't know where you are coming from, maybe spending time on the water is very important to you ... in that case, take my advice w/ a grain of salt. ;)

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching/Provncetown

I agree with the advice you got so far. While Provincetown is WONDERFUL it is not worth going there if you'll only be on the land for one or two hours. But if you had a hankering to see a charming Cape Cod town that is really unique, and surrounded on three sides by water, it's a good one. Provincetown is incredibly fun to walk around, the little houses are beautiful, the main drag is really entertaining and lively (you will probably see some live advertisements for drag shows), lots of sidewalk cafes and restaurants on the water, a huge fishing pier, historic sights (Pilgrims landed here before going to Plymouth), and also art and theater. A great town. Also just outside of town is the incredible Provincelands nature preserve, part of the National Seashore. But maybe that's just too much time on boats, if you are only here for 3 days.

arubabliss
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching/Provncetown

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your feedback.

toronto
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching/Provncetown

When purchasing the Boston-P-Town ferry tickets from either ferry company, do you have to specify which return trip you are taking? Thanks....

boston, ma
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching/Provncetown

To Sun Lover: My experience is that the ferry companies do want you to specify a return trip but there is no trouble changing it if necessary. The only problem you might run into is a sold out trip, but this is very rare and would not happen except occasionally on major holiday weekends.

toronto
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching/Provncetown

wbp657 - Thanks for the information. We plan to go there Saturday August 8 and thought of taking the first ferry there, and then tossing up the idea of returning on the late afternoon ferry, but then also thought maybe spending the evening having dinner on Ptown would be nice, and then taking the very last ferry back. Is the last ferry normally the most packed? This would be our first time to ptown so our thoughts are maybe to rent bikes, ride around a few hours see some beaches, stopping here and there for a break and a beer and water, and instead of rushing back to the mainland, just hanging out for dinner.. Question: we are ocasional bike riders only. how steep are the trails along the path? Many thanks!

8. Re: Whale Watching/Provncetown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2010, 06:20