We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruins vs Flyers on New Years Day

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
Bruins vs Flyers on New Years Day

Hi all,

I'd like to surprise my husband with tickets to the Bruins-Flyers game at Fenway Park on 1 Jan 2010.

Can anyone give me some advice on purchasing tickets? I went to the NHL website, but when I try to purchase them there it's only letting me buy tickets for events taking place this month (July).

I'm sure it's user error. :)

Thanks!

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruins vs Flyers on New Years Day

http://bruins.nhl.com/ says to be a season ticket holder to guarantee a ticket.

You'll probably have to use a ticket broker (www.stubhub.com or similar) - keep checking nhl.com each day to see if they give ticket information.

When it was in Buffalo, my cousin said unless you were a season ticket holder or premium box holder, you couldn't get a ticket unless it was through a scapler.

Given that its Fenway, I'd like it'll be the same.

Good Luck!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruins vs Flyers on New Years Day

Tickets are not on sale yet and I agree w/ the previous poster ... expect to pay a premium.

According to an article in yesterday's Boston Globe:

"Ticket sales and pricing for the game? According to the league’s COO, John Collins, those details won’t be divulged for at least a couple of weeks, and Bettman stressed that one sure way of obtaining seats Jan. 1 would be to become a Bruins season ticket-holder. Ergo, the longer the delay in announcing details about Winter Classic tickets, the longer Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs can keep open the Causeway Street box office, hoping to solicit season ticket subscriptions.

A conservative estimate on pricing would be $250 per seat, in line with what the league charged for the game in Chicago. Many seats in suburban Buffalo, for the much bigger venue of Ralph Wilson Stadium, were priced just below $100. Cost varies by city, by venue, and, Collins explained, will factor in what fans already are paying for other pro sports events in Boston "

Here's a link to the full article: boston.com/sports/…

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruins vs Flyers on New Years Day

Thanks to you both. I'm not so worried about the ticket price since this is a 20th anniversary gift - worth the splurge! I'm more concerned about not being able to get them.

I guess all I can do is keep checking the websites you've suggested.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bruins vs Flyers on New Years Day

If you can't get tickets on the NHL site, then you'll need to go w/ Ace Tickets or Stub Hub. These sites are strictly "supply and demand". Expect the demand for this to be high ... so if you aren't lucky enough to get the ticks on the official site, I wouldn't be surprised for stubhub to be selling for 2 or 3 or more times the face value.

I'm just hoping to do a bit of skating myself at the 'public skating' days.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bruins vs Flyers on New Years Day

Ace Tickets already has tickets at over $1,000 EACH, location "to be provided".

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bruins vs Flyers on New Years Day

Wow --- selling 'futures' on sports tickets. amazing ....

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bruins vs Flyers on New Years Day

I don't know why I didn't think of this first. I called American Express concierge service and they did some digging. They said it appears the tix will go on sale Aug 26, but that this was not definite.

They told me that as soon as the announcement goes out they will call me and get the ball rolling to try and secure me tickets!

She mentioned the site that already had them for sale for an exhorbidant price.

What are the closest hotels to Fenway? I know, I know, I'm being lazy with regard to researching. I'm not usually like that, but I'm at work right now. :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bruins vs Flyers on New Years Day

Fenway is easily accesible from most of the city. The closest hotel is probably the Hotel Commonwealth in Kenmore Square, but any of the Back Bay area hotels would work as well.

Keep in mind that it is New Year's weekend and Boston has a huge celebration for NYE, so prices for hotels will be high.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bruins vs Flyers on New Years Day

Something to think about .... somebody just asked me how an 'average sized' (not overweight) person with 3 or 4 layers of winter clothing is going to squeeze them selves into one of those Fenway seats ... ;)

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bruins vs Flyers on New Years Day

"Something to think about .... somebody just asked me how an 'average sized' (not overweight) person with 3 or 4 layers of winter clothing is going to squeeze them selves into one of those Fenway seats ... ;)"

Not a pretty image! Maybe Pats fans can give advice.