We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip advice

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
st. louis, mo
1 post
Save Topic
day trip advice

Trying to take advantage of my 5 day GoCard starting next week. Going with my 10 and 6 year old sons, my 78 yr.old mother,and sister-in-law and meeting up with 17 yr.old son. Greyline tour to Cape or seacoast, Provincetown ferry, or Martha's vineyard? As much as I'd love to see Martha's, I don't know if one day justifies the 1.5 hr. bus ride then 1hr plus ferry ride each way. We would have to board bus by 6:30 am and return at 10:30 p.m. It looks like a good chance of rain while we're there. First time visitors and want to make this enjoyable for all. Do you recommend Salem for a half day? Looking forward to Boston!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip advice

I walking a problem for your mom? If no, I'd go P-town ferry ... once in P-town, you can pick up a short trolley tour or Art's Dune Tours or take the summer shuttle bus out to the the National Seashore Visitor's center or Herring Cove Beach.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip advice

Like the freedom trail, it's tough to judge if a half day in Salem is ok. It all depends on what YOU like to see/do. Some people buzz through it in 2 hours, others spend 6 hours in the Peabody/Essex museum alone. It's really a tough call.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip advice

I'd go with the P-town Ferry too as Forgotmypword suggested, it's a fun day trip and it always was pretty neat. It's seasonal, so this is the time of year to go. Spend the day there and get a quick taste of ole Cape Cod, you'll enjoy it there rain or shine I bet. Pretty neat shops to check out, have lunch, then before you know it, you'll be boarding the ferry back to Boston. Your kids will love this day trip, you watch! They're at good ages for it.

You'll be kicking yourself that you didn't book a room for an overnighter by the time you get to the Vineyard; if you had to do the bus route & all that. Meanwhile, it's usually a 2 night minimum during the summer with a lot of summertime places, they only have a few short months to get all of us!

Gwent
Level Contributor
138 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip advice

Not sure what the go-card involves we just did Salem as day trip. Train from North Station $5.25, got off, caught trolley bus at station $16 includes 2 tours 1 approx 40 mins, other 20 mins, also will take you back to either train station or ferry $13 what a wonderful way to see Boston harbour especially as when we were there the tall ships were in. Good commentary on trolley tour and some beautiful sites to see, also hop on-off and showing trolley ticket at some attractions got us $1 each off admission well worth the experience. Prices are per person.

5. Re: day trip advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2010, 06:18