We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Copley, the Duck Tour and Sox, oh my!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Copley, the Duck Tour and Sox, oh my!

We were in Boston for our anniversary 7/9-7/11. We stayed at the Westin Copley Place for $139/night through Hotwire. I've posted a separate review for the hotel. It was our first time staying in the Copley area.

We had great weather! Maine (like Boston) has been drowning for most of the summer, so crisp air and sunny skies were more than welcome:)

I wish the thread about places to eat nearby had been posted when we were there - we could have used the breakfast hints. One day we did Dunkin' Donuts in the Shaw's nearby out of desperation (slept in and couldn't find breakfast still being served). The other day we did the hot offerings at Au Bon Pain. Not great and overpriced. Stick to the bread products if you go there.

We had never done a Duck Tour and the weather was perfect, so we decided to go. It was fun and a great low-key way to see various sections of the city. (Note to other travelers: don't go when you're tired. Two members of the family sitting near us fell asleep!) All of the kids who wanted to drive while on the Charles were given the opportunity and the conducktor took their pictures. He also suggested going in the Boston Public Library. Since it was right next door to our hotel, I went in later that day intrigued by his mention of John Singer Sargent murals:

sargentmurals.bpl.org/site/murals/index.html

I love murals and am a huge Sargent fan, so this was a great stop for me. The entire library is gorgeous with many interesting exhibits (and a chance to check your e-mail, log onto TA, etc.). The outside courtyard was also beautiful and was about to be set up for what looked like a wedding.

Another Copley area plus was the farmers' market held there on Friday. We picked up some baked goods to snack on and enjoyed the variety of fresh veggies that were available. Our own garden is very behind due to the rain, so we were amazed at the offerings.

We had tickets to two Sox games. Our two nights could not have been more different. The first night we had loge seats, row AA. These seats are specifically marked as having a lot of foot traffic in front. This was true, but security moves everyone along. These were great seats, directly up from the dugout with full views of everything. When you sit in field box and/or loge seats, you get every type of vendor there is, including several different types of beer. I mention all of this because the second night we were in RF Grandstand section 7, row 13, seats 3&4. These were the worst seats we have ever had at Fenway Park (and we've been in the highest bleacher seats). They are not listed as obstructed view, but I could only see home plate if I leaned way to my right. The couple on my left couldn't see anything. To add insult to injury, these were the seats we got through our purchase of the "Ultimate Fan Pack" from Red Sox Nation. Everyone sitting around us was in the same situation. As the woman next to me said, "It's hard to believe they treat the Nation like this." We would have been better off to take the $$ and buy tickets through Stubhub, Ace or similar sites. Lesson learned! (Also, as a side note - your vendor selection in the cheap seats is considerably less and absolutely no beer. Go stand in line for an inning or two...)

We did the whole trip through mass transit - the Downeaster from Maine and the T or walking in Boston. The hotel was close enough that we walked to Fenway the first night. We loved not having to drive.

Thanks to all of the regular posters here. You've saved us money and enhanced our trips to Boston through all of your suggestions and tips!

Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Tuckamore Aviation
City Tours, Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Boston Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, City Tours
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Copley, the Duck Tour and Sox, oh my!

Thanks for the TR. I ,too, highly recommend the Boston Public Library.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,288 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Copley, the Duck Tour and Sox, oh my!

Good TR enjoyed it and glad you had a great time in Boston.

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Copley, the Duck Tour and Sox, oh my!

Sounds like an excellent trip - anniversaries and birthdays are always good excuses for a trip into town. Sounds like the weather gods were with you. We have yet to take the Downeaster...usually ride the C&J bus from Portsmouth - someday.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Copley, the Duck Tour and Sox, oh my!

Sorry you missed out on breakfast.....

Falling asleep on a duck tour must be a first.

Thanks.....

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Copley, the Duck Tour and Sox, oh my!

Mojitoland: We also thought about C&J, but for us the cost was about equal, and we could pick up the Downeaster in Saco, about 15 minutes from our house. (The new train station and expanded parking there also helped sway our decision.)

I also just want to add a lunch suggestion that I don't see posted here too often: The Border Cafe on Church Street near Harvard. We had been there in our "courting" days and decided to try it again. We were also able to include our niece, who is at Harvard for grad school (and was one of our flower girls years ago). The price is definitely right here, the margaritas are tasty and we all enjoyed our food.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Copley, the Duck Tour and Sox, oh my!

Nice TR, CB48. I'm amazed people have sat in those RF Grandstand seats for almost 100 years now. They are TERRIBLE! I wish the Henry Group could somehow angle that whole section towards homeplate without messing with the blueprint of Fenway too much. Wishful thinking, but in this day and age, who wants to sit in seats that face AWAY from the action?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Copley, the Duck Tour and Sox, oh my!

will: You think they would be able to fix it.....I think in some weird way....some people like sitting in them.....No one ever forgets the adventure.

CB...Church Street is very nice and I agree.....

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Copley, the Duck Tour and Sox, oh my!

CB -- first, thank you for the trip report. Great details.

I love seeing the exhibits the BPL has, glad you checked it out. On my to do list is the free tour they have (I think it is on Thursdays) re: architecture.

As for the Sox tickets, I feel your pain re: the grandstand seats. I, too, have been in seats that are not marked obstructed but in my view are indeed.

Last question/comment - what is your avatar? you deserve a bigger one!!!!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Copley, the Duck Tour and Sox, oh my!

Hi Mahj-

That skinny pic is Fenway. I'm guessing the weird size is something I did, but have no clue how to fix it... Strangely enough, before I threw that one on, another had appeared that I did not select - a grainy picture of some towers somewhere. I took that as a hint to load something of my choosing!

r.e. the grandstand seats - I knew they would be bad, but had no clue how bad! I think this section of Fenway should be reserved for people who really aren't there to watch the game - those who are constantly texting, getting up and down, etc. I think if the owners had to sit there for just one game, those poles would disappear.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Copley, the Duck Tour and Sox, oh my!

Thanks for a great trip report. Your visit to the Library is why I liked to recommend people who want to take a duck tour do it early in their visit. You heard about the libary on the tour and you went.