We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get BoSox tix?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get BoSox tix?

I was thinking of heading to Boston next spring and was wondering what the best way to get Red Sox tickets is. I know Fenway seats about 15,000 or so less than some other stadiums, and that the BoSox are a very good and popular team, so I’m assuming getting a pair of tickets might be a challenge.

Is it easy to get them when they first go on sale before the season starts (maybe around February or March) or do most of them go to season ticket holders? I’m not looking for first row, behind the plate seats or anything, or ones against a big rival like the Yanks (boo!), just ones that aren’t standing room and aren’t obstructed view. Would getting them on game-day from a scalper be another option, or would they seriously overcharge? I know of StubHub.com, but the shipping price to Canada sometimes costs more than the tickets themselves.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Good luck in the season!

Suny D :)

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get BoSox tix?

The first wave comes out in early December during their Christmas at Fenway. Select spring games go on sale at Fenway, and on-line if you have the time and patience and luck is on your side.

After that, most other regular season games go on sale towards the end of January. Again, patience, perserverence and luck are key.

After that, there are ticket lotteries for the more popular games (Yanks, Opening Day, Patriots Day..aka Marathon Monday) also Green Monster Tickets, Bud Room Tickets, etc....keep checking the website for the latest lotteries.

I usually am able to get tickets one of those ways, have gotten Opening Day tickets that way for many years straight. If you're looking to for an early spring game and it's mid-week, you'll have better luck.

After that, the secondary market is your only other option: Ace Ticket, Craigslist, E-Bay, Stub-Hub, etc (Just use common sense and due diligence for E-Bay and CL)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get BoSox tix?

In order to have access to those tix you should sign up for Red Sox email. Then you get notice when they are all on sale. It does take patience, but you CAN get tickets that way. Try that first before going to a secondary seller.

Boston...
Level Contributor
414 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get BoSox tix?

If you're not successful getting advance tickets, don't mind taking a chance and also waiting in line there's always a possibility of getting in on day of game. You just have to line up a couple of hours before game time. Problem is you might not get in and if you do are likely to be in the bleachers. Depends if you're interested in the finer points of the game or just want the Fenway experience.

Saint George, Canada
Level Contributor
294 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get BoSox tix?

Yes, you could always get pulled into the "legal" sculpers such as Stubhub.com, AceTickets, ect. or the supposedly "illegals" with the fellas standing near Kenmore Square, either way, you'll pay well over the ticket price and likely have no money left over for a Fenway Frank.

The Red Sox release tickets months ahead of time at various intervals but as many of us know, the virtual waiting room become more of you screen saver than it does your doorway to seats. It appears only those mentioned in the first paragraph have any luck with the direct ticket sales.

Now, for many years I've gotten to know a few of the fellas at Kenmore Square and would pickup tickets at a good rate (still over the printed price of course) for those games I was not able to buy directly. Then I watched a news program and learned that the Sox hold a certain amount of time up until game day (for the Sox but also for the visiting team). Even those games that indicate sold out online will have tickets release 12 hour prior to the game. Sure you can stand in line for the box office but over the last two years we take our laptop along and buy the tickets online from the comfort of our hotel, at cost and always get great seats (no more standing room!)

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get BoSox tix?

Thank you for everyone's help/suggestions. This is all very useful. I had no clue tix went on sale as early as Dec/Jan!

Suny D :)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,445 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get BoSox tix?

If you are so inclined ... praying for the opportunity to purchase face value tickets won't hurt. ;)

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get BoSox tix?

I had planned on going to Fenway a certain weekend in September and tickets never went on sale on the website. We were going whether we bought them from stubhub or boston box office or wherever. So I called randomly a couple months ago, and somebody answered the phone, "Fenway Park, can I help you?" And I told her that tickets weren't on sale online and if she knew when they would be. She said they weren't going to be on sale online, but I could tell her how many I wanted. We got Fri, Sat and Sun tickets for face value. And Sun we got field box seats two seats behind the visitors on deck circle. It was the best day ever.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get BoSox tix?

Is it easier to get tickets for "get away games" that aren't before a long weekend? I'm not sure if I'm using the right term, but I'm referring to a day game during the week (a Thursday) before the club "gets away" for a road series. It always amazes me how many people are at these games. Are that many people skipping work? I know that some people might have the day off, be on vacation, be off school, or work nights, but come on!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get BoSox tix?

FYI - Fenway seats about 37,000

You may have better luck for get-away games. They will still sell out but you may find it a little easier.

Games during the week are usually easier to get, especially mid-week. Yanks will always be the hardest to get and requires you to win a lottery just to purchase them when they go on sale.

Seats usually go on sale as games get closer too, usually a week or so before.

Boston
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get BoSox tix?

Honestly, I love using Tickets-for-Charity to get my tickets. They are so easy to deal with and I can just pick the hard tickets up at the office before the game. Also, if I pay a little extra-it all goes to the Red Sox Foundation, which is great. You have to call them at 866-567-4576 but it's so easy to deal with!