We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beacon Hill Walking Tour

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Beacon Hill Walking Tour

Looking for some feedback from anyone -- local or tourist -- with experience with Beacon Hill Walking Tour, a two-hour architectural tour led by a trained MFA Senior Associate guide. We'll be in Boston Sept. 21-24...will certainly spend a day at MFA and also considering the tour. It's our second trip (previous was Sept. 2006), so we're looking at different vantage points for our stay. Yes, we're interested in history and architecture; one of our best-liked vacation tours was CAF's "Frank Lloyd Wright in Oak Park".

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beacon Hill Walking Tour

This is like talk radio where everyone has an opinion without any facts to base it on. Beacon Hill is a great place to walk thru and I can only imagine how much more meaningful it would be with a trained MFA associate leading the walk. So, if this is your interest, then I suggest that you go for it.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beacon Hill Walking Tour

<<This is like talk radio where everyone has an opinion without any facts to base it on.>>

Yes, I'm expecting feedback (like so much of TA postings) to be subjective. For the factual details of where/when/how-long/how-much I researched myself on the Web, but I'm also interested in the OPINIONS of anyone who's taken this tour.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beacon Hill Walking Tour

Since I have been hanging out here, I don't recall anyone mentioning this particular tour. My aunt is a docent at the MFA and I know how much research she does for her tours. I have also been on tours at the MFA and for those that are interested in more than merely looking, the leaders have as much depth of knowledge as you will need.

You can assume the folks they let out of the MFA are similarly educated.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beacon Hill Walking Tour

This is the first I've heard of it as well. The one that commonly is mentioned on this board is the Boston by Foot tour. I wonder if the MFA one is new. In checking the MFA site, it sounds really wonderful particularly if you are interested in architecture. I know it is a long way away, but if you do go on this tour we'd love to hear how it was (perhaps even some of us regulars will join you to try it out!)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beacon Hill Walking Tour

Boston by Foot

617-367-2345

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beacon Hill Walking Tour

That MFA tour would probably be great.

I have done the Boston by Foot tour, and they have fairly high standards as well (I looked into becoming a guide at one point). So, if the MFA doesn't work out, definitely check out Boston by Foot.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beacon Hill Walking Tour

Rantipole..nice picture

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beacon Hill Walking Tour

Thanks, it is actually TA's. Somehow my old avatar got deleted, and this is the one I picked from TA's list. Need to upload my own again soon.

9. Re: Beacon Hill Walking Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2010, 06:18