We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel pass for Bostons

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Travel pass for Bostons

Could someone please advise us as to the best travel pass to get for Boston. We're in the city for 3-4 days and then again for 4-5 days. There are 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 children, aged 12 and 15. Is the 7-day LinkPass the best bet (bought twice, I guess)? What about children? The Students' pass seems to require an ID provided by US high schools, and we're from the UK.

Hide
Travellers interested in this topic also viewed...
UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel pass for Bostons

Don't know how that s got there. Should have checked, but can't seem to remove it now. Sorry!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel pass for Bostons

If you are going to use the subway a lot, then the 7 day pass would make sense. Of course, we have no idea whether you will or not. It would be helpful for starters to know where you are staying. By the way, the student pass does require the HS ID, so the kids would require the same $15 pass. (FYI, kids 11 and under can go with their parents for free).

Boston
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel pass for Bostons

Yes, the student passes require that you attend a K-12 school here. They are for to and from school transportation and don't work on weekends and at night, I think after 8. My son gets his directly at his school, so I don't even know if you can purchase them yourself anyway.

UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel pass for Bostons

Hi

We're staying at the Radisson, which is central, I think. We've also thought of using one of the trolley buses for transport/sightseeing but that's only for a couple of days, isn't it? The travel pass would be quite expensive for us if we also have to pay full fare for the children. Any suggestions? Is it worth getting a Charlie card?

Also, if you buy a Go Boston card online (to get a discount), how do you collect your card?

Thanks in advance.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,183 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel pass for Bostons

A Charlie card is simply a plastic card that you 'load' with $$, similar store gift card. You get a plastic card from an MBTA employee and then use the machine to add value to it. Each time you go through the turnstyle, it deducts $1.70. Several people can share one card or you can each get your own ... it doesn't matter.

If you get a 7-day pass you cannot share ... one-per-person, and riding is unlimited.

If you don't have the plastic card, you can buy paper charlie tickets (also from the machine) and each ride will cost $2.

So ... what it comes down to is ... if you think you'll take 9+ rides on the subway during your stay then the 7-day pass is cost-effective. If you aren't going to take 9 rides, the Charlie ticket will be cheaper.

The hop on/hop off Trolleys are a great way for a tourist to see the city. They bring you near many historical sites, the driver narrates along the way so you know what you are seeing. You learn things. Something the driver says may spark your interest in a site you didn't even know about. However, these trolleys are intended for site-seeing, not a mode of transportation. You'd never see a local riding one to work. A two-day ticket for a site-seeing trolley is $40+ per person (although some come with percs such as free admission to the Old State House Museum --- it's not less costly than using the subway).

trolleytours.com/boston/rates-and-reservatio…

http://www.cityviewtrolleys.com/tickets.html

www.beantowntrolley.com/tours/beantown.html

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,183 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel pass for Bostons

Sorry ... I don't know anything about the Boston Go card, I hope somebody else will respond to that part of your question.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,183 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel pass for Bostons

One more thing --- I'm not sure if I was clear, although several people can share a Charlie Card (or ticket), it must be 'swiped' for each person, so no matter how you cut it, it's $1.70 per ride.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel pass for Bostons

Here is a link to a very recent review of the Go Card. There are additional posts. Just type it in the search box for more threads of information.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k299076…

UK
Level Contributor
191 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel pass for Bostons

Thanks for the summary about MTA options. My question re the Go Boston card was how you get the card if you buy it online. I have looked at the very useful reviews posted on this site. Thanks!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel pass for Bostons

I believe they make everybody come to one of their sales locations to pick up their cards when they arrive in Boston.