We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So Sad it's Over - Trip Report

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
So Sad it's Over - Trip Report

We're back!!! Our trip was Tuesday to Tuesday, July 29th to August 4th. We had a wonderful time, and one of the best parts was impressing my husband with all my "insider knowledge" gained here on TA!! Thank you to everyone who posts - you never know who it may help - like me!

Basics: Fam of four with two boys 15 and 11. Lured them to Boston with the promise of a Fenway tour and game, but secretly planned lots of sightseeing and lobster. Stayed at the Westin Copley on a Hotwire rate of $138 a night - woo hoo! Purchased the Go Boston cards (with discount posted here) before departing, and purchased a Charlie card for a week in the baggage claim area at Logan. What a deal - $15 per person for unlimited T and Bus service for the week.

Day One

Arrived and planned to take a taxi to the hotel. A van service guy intercepted us and offered to take us for $10 a person = $40. Against my better judgement, we did this, and it turned out fine. Arrived at Westin about 2:30 - requested a two queen room - not ready. Left luggage at desk and walked over both connecting mall bridges to food court at the Pru Center. Great variety when you have kids. Who knew Regina pizzaria had a mall local? 15 year old loved it.

Checked in - room nice, yes bathroom a bit small, thank God I have boys - they don't even look in the mirror. One of the small things that made a big difference for us is that they provided a rollaway for no extra charge. The 15 year old does not take kindly to his little brother kicking him all night, so everyone slept better all week with said sibling in the rollaway.

Determined not to waste an opportunity to put good TA advice to use, we head out for the T to get to Yankee Lobster. The Westin is a great local for the T - just one block walk in front of the Boston Public Library, and there's the station for the green line. Here's a funny thing - we must have walked around the South Station for at least 10 minutes trying to find the silver train! Kept seeing busses - finally a nice man explained that the Silver Line is busses! When you get off the bus to go to Yankee Lobster, and walk to/are facing the water front, turn right.

What a cool, locals kind of place. Just our style, very casual, unassuming, great prices. Hubby and I split the Twin Lobster Dinner ($29.99) and the kids got fish and chips. It was sooooooo heavenly. One of the gals who worked there brought out a live 20 or so lb lobster to show - wow - that thing was huge! Wish we could have made it back for another meal.

Tomorrow is all Fenway!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So Sad it's Over - Trip Report

Wonderful!!! Looking forward to your future installments.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So Sad it's Over - Trip Report

Thanks Mahj!

Forgive all my fragmented sentences - just trying to type fast :0)

Day Two

After eating at the Au Bon Pain - our new breakfast local – we headed down to Fenway. Glad someone posted about getting off at Kenmore Square (not the Fenway stop) – and found our way to the park. So fun to actually be there! The place was already buzzing, and we checked in with our Go Cards at the booth inside the gift shop on Yawkey Way for the tour. We were given a Noon bracelet, and told to meet back in the middle of this huge store at 5 till noon. We were there promptly, along with 200 of our closest friends for the noon tour. They split us into two groups of 100 and took us across the street to Fenway. The tour consisted of 4 stops – all in seating areas of the park – including the Green Monster. No locker room, dugout or field access like we enjoyed on our tour of old Yankee Stadium in 2006. Great information, however, and lots of good picture taking opportunities. We learned that the old oak seats are indeed only 15” across, and no, they have no plans of replacing them as it would take away 3,000 seats.

After returning/relaxing a bit at the hotel, and taking a dip in the pool (a bit small, but ok) we headed down for the big game. Amazed that they scan your ticket on Yawkey way, and never ask to see it again in the actual park or in the seating area. Yawky was fun with lots of food vendors, and a big Red Sox fan on stilts. Great atmosphere. Found our seats (grandstand 31, row 4) which were awesome. I put so much time into finding seats without a pole blocking our view. Finally purchased them on Stubhub for about $81 a piece. They were $45 face value. The boys and hubby were able to walk down to the row of seats next to the field to see a bit of the visiting team’s batting practice up close. That was super cool. Of course I chose a lobster roll for dinner – pretty good. Fans around us were very nice. The Oakland A’s hit a home run on the first pitch, which set the tone for most of the game. :( The Sox were never ahead and lost, but we got a bit of the enthusiasm of the crowd when Ortiz came up to bat with two on – so a homerun would have tied the game. Not to be, for our once in a lifetime game, although he did oblige in the next few games I believe. All and all, a great game. The boys were all decked out in their new jersey T-shirts and hats – this is what they came for – and I think they were a little sad at the loss and that it was all over. Amazing nonetheless.

Walked back to the hotel, got a little lost. Stopped at the McD’s on Mass. Ave (by a music college??) for an ice cream and a potty break. Who knew no-one needs to use the restroom in Boston after 10 pm? When I asked for a “token” for the restroom, the guy said that they don’t open the bathrooms this late. Excuse me? Hmmm – we even bought something. Too funny. Oh well – walk fast back to the hotel.

Tomorrow – Quack Quack!

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So Sad it's Over - Trip Report

Thanks for your recaps. I'm enjoying your sense of humor. Perfect for your Duck tour. We've done Ride the Ducks in Baltimore and Seattle, and I like to call the tours music-infused amphibious group insanity.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So Sad it's Over - Trip Report

Sounds like you covered a lot of ground. I've enjoyed reading what you've written so far and can't wait to read more.

Thanks for taking the time to write it all out.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So Sad it's Over - Trip Report

Wonderful! And the guy in the McD's was not, sorry. (i think that may even be a health code violation!)

Liverpool
Level Contributor
95 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So Sad it's Over - Trip Report

Did you save money on the Fenway tour with the Go Boston cards? I am planning to take the tour in 3 weeks time

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So Sad it's Over - Trip Report

Thanks for your report. When you got the $139 rate on Hotwire for the Westin, did you book it for two people or 4?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So Sad it's Over - Trip Report

The Go Boston Cards are like a little credit card you buy that allows you into many attractions for "free". The Fenway tour was one of them. The tour is normally $12 I believe. Our Go Card was around $142 per adult for a 5 day card. We did use it a ton, and believe we got our "money's worth." You can see the list of the attractions through this link:

smartdestinations.com/boston-attractions-and…

B-52's :) I booked the Westin on Hotwire for 4 as I knew we needed at least two beds, and Priceline won't gaurantee 2 beds. I requested two queens upon arrival. I looked up the descriptions of the hotels on betterbidding dot com to make sure it was the Westin before I purchased it, as it is a blind purchase.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So Sad it's Over - Trip Report

Sorry - actually our Go Cards were less per adult as I had 25% off regular price. About $118. That link was showing 25% off instead of 10% at the time.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,218 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So Sad it's Over - Trip Report

Great TR glad you and your family enjoyed Boston,enjoying your post and looking forward to the rest.