We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do & where to stay

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, TN
2 posts
Save Topic
What to do & where to stay

My boyfriend & I are going to be in Boston the first weekend in October. We are going to a red sox game, but then we aren't sure where all we want to visit or even where we want to stay. We are in our 20's & love doing things outdoors.

If anyone has any ideas where to stay & what all to do, please let me know.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do & where to stay

Hi, how many nights will you be here? Do you want to stay in town? Budget? Lots of options! You may want to take a look at the "things to do" link and see what interests you. A Duck Tour is always a fun way to see the city, or a trolley tour that you can hop on and off. The Freedom Trail way to experience the city's history while being outside.

Brighton, TN
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do & where to stay

We are staying Thurs-Sunday so 3 nights total. Budget isn't unlimited, but its not exactly set.

We are lookin for something reasonable with hotels. Hopefully under $250 a night, but we would like to be near quiet a few things.

Our main reason for visting is going to the Red Sox game, but since we are going to be there the weekend I would like to see as much as possible. I have looked into the Harbor tours.

I am mainly unsure of a good "Center" to decide on a hotel because I don't want to be too far away from everything.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do & where to stay

Checkout Hotwire or any of the other discount hotel booking sites. Before you book, you can ask if we can try to decipher which hotel it is likely to be.

If you can find a hotel close to everything, let me know cause I am not really sure what everything is.

At last count the Boston forum alone has over 9,000 topics. I got to believe that if you took a few minutes to see what others have posted you can be a little more specific and then so could we.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do & where to stay

Hi, a good central location is Copley Square - there are many hotel options and it is near everything, you can walk or get a subway to just about everywhere. For your price range, you might want to try Hotwire or Priceline - you can sometimes get good bargains there.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do & where to stay

Early October -- I am not sure when some of the public boat rides and ferries stop for the season. There is a public ferry out to some of the Boston Harbor Islands (which is now a national park). Perhaps Google Boston Harbor Islands and see what's up for early October. There's some work going on at Spectacle Island, but nothing big I think. This is one of the less developed islands I believe. The most visited island is George's Island. It is dominated by a huge old star shaped stone fort, Fort Warren. It's really worth a visit on a nice day. You can climb the ramparts, you see other islands, and the boat ride is kind of fun. If doing things on the water and along the harbor is appealing to you, it might make sense to stay in either the Seaport area (which is sort of separated from most of Boston, and not a true old area to walk around -- but it's very close to downtown). Or one of the other hotels in Boston on the harbor. There is a new one at "Battery Wharf" and this would be a decent location too. You would be near the site of the U.S.S. Constitution, which to me is a must-see stop on our famous Freedom Trail. Since you like the outdoors, another urban outdoor option is to walk the Esplanade along the Boston side of the Charles River. That's where the Boston Pops play every Fourth of July, and it can be a pleasant walk especially towards the end of the day.

6. Re: What to do & where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2010, 07:16