We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using the Subway??

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Using the Subway??

I have been to Boston a few times but never really left Quincy Market. I've used the subway in NY but not in Boston. Just looking for a few quick tips on in's and Out's of the subway in Boston. I've noticed that there isnt as many stops as in NYC. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Boston...
Level Contributor
446 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using the Subway??

If you've taken the subway in NY, Boston should be a breeze.

This is our subway website:

http://www.mbta.com/

Buy a Charlie Card - and load it up!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Using the Subway??

When taking the subway be careful what platform you are on.

The subway is based on a core (Downtown) with separate colored lines taking you from the core to different areas.

All inbound trains head into downtown Boston, all outbound trains head out of Boston.

If you take the Orange line from Oak Grove you will be heading Inbound until you leave Downtown Crossing. At this point you are heading Outbound even though you have not left the train you started on.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using the Subway??

The Boston system is much easier to navigate then NYC's. So, you should be fine.

The payment methods are a bit confusing. I will try to summarize:

Charlie Ticket: Buy at machines in stations. Cost per ride is $2. You can put as much as you want on these and keep on using until value runs out.

Charlie Card: Ask attendant in station for one. The card is free. Add value at machine. Cost per ride is only $1.70. I've never understood why the cost is different between the card and ticket. Keep adding value as you need it.

Passes: There are various passes available. A good deal is a weekly pass for $15. You can use it as many times as you want in a week.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using the Subway??

As missingmaine says, the inbound/outbound directions can be very confusing if you are not familiar with the city and where you are in relation to the downtown area.

So, it's better to ignore any inbound/outbound directional signage and just focus on the terminus of your train which will be noted on the train itself and the platform. That way you will always know what direction you are going in.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Using the Subway??

I agree with Cabinet. And if you're ever in doubt, just ask someone "does this train go to ______".

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using the Subway??

I'll be in Boston mid-September for a week so the weekly pass sound ideal for me. Where can I buy it?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Using the Subway??

Any ticket machine located in all the T Stations.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using the Subway??

Thank you AlanM

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using the Subway??

One thing not mentioned above that I believe needs to be mentioned is that many "T" stations have stairs only, sometimes many stairs. I won't try to list them all here, but if you have luggage, it is an issue because you are likely to face one. Many have escalators and elevators, of course. Some day they all will be accommodating.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using the Subway??

Thank you all for your help on this. Im sure it will make my trip a bit easier and get me out of Quincy market for once!