We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Question

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Question

Hi~I've been looking for hotels but not quiet sure which would be the best area to stay in..So I'm seeking some advice. We are planning on arriving into the city next Weds for 2 nights. We are looking for a clean room in a nice area. Something that would be easy access to the public transportation and to the airport on Friday afternoon. We plan on doing some sort of bus tour, freedom trail, harvard tour and just taking in the city. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking on travelocity and other discount websites but not sure of the area. I thought if I could pin that down then it would better help find a location. Thanks for you help.

OHIOTRAV

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Question

Anywhere in Back Bay/Copley Square, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, or Financial District/Downtown areas would be fine.

It's hard to go too far wrong. It's just not that big a place, and most neighborhoods that have hotels are nice and have easy access to public transportation.

If you identify specific candidate hotels, people on the forum can comment on them.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Question

As above but try and stay away from the Waterfront area as it is not very convenient on public transport.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Question

A bit of clarification is needed, I think, because "waterfront" is sort of ambiguous in this context.

sky0000547 is referring to the waterfront in South Boston, also known as the Seaport District. This is an up-and-coming neighborhood with some great attractions, including the Institute of Contemporary Art. However, it is relatively inconvenient with respect to the T (subway system). It's actually not a bad walk from downtown, but it's not ideal for your purposes.

On the other hand, mention "waterfront," and many people will think of the area along Atlantic Avenue that is next to Faneuil Hall Marketplace. This neighborhood includes the Aquarium and Columbus Park, and is well served by the T. It's lively and scenic and home to a number of good hotels and restaurants. One hotel in this neighborhood that I like very much is the Harborside Inn, which is showing rooms for two adults for your dates at $159, or $179 with an exterior view. (It also might be the easiest to reach via the T of all downtown hotels.) I don't seem to be able to connect to their Web site at the moment, but the booking page is available at https:/…

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Question

Hi OhioTrav.

I think you've received some great advice here but since I work in the Seaport District I have to clarify one thing:)

The Seaport District ,or South Boston waterfront, is actually quite convenient to Logan Airport. In fact, we have a lot of airline staff stay with us because of this fact.

You can get to the waterfront area via a quick water taxi from Logan - great view of the city and harbor too. But you can also get here very easily on the silver line directly from Logan - hop off at the World Trade Center stop and you are a block from the water.

Hope that helps.

Best,

SeaportConcierge

www.seaportboston.com

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Question

Thanks everyone for the insight...I will begin to look in the Back Bay/Copley Square, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, or Financial District/Downtown areas. Once I've narrowed it down I'll post any questions. Thanks again..

OHIOTRAV

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Question

I'm thinking about Doubletree Hotel downtown for midweek stay. We'll rent our car from the airport to visit the surrounding area return car & head to the hotel on public transportation. I have a rate for $209 + tax which is better that what I've been able to find so far. Now time to plan things to do. Thanks for all your help.

OHIOTRAV

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Question

You can do much better than that on a hotel price (and, in my opinion, location, not that there's anything really wrong with the Doubletree location).

Just go to Hotwire.com. They're showing 4-star and 4.5-star offerings in the Marketplace and Back Bay for much less. (I'm basing this on the assumption of one room for two adults.)

If you are hesitant about using Hotwire, don't be. As long as you're sure you're coming (so you won't need to cancel), you will be fine. Any hotel they list at 4 stars will be very good.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Question

Thanks. I was unsure about using hotwire but I'll have to check it out.

OHIOTRAV

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Question

You can get very good deals on hotels using Hotwire, provided you know your locations and star levels.

And I wouldn't necessarily steer totally clear of the Waterfront--and I don't work at a hotel there either. While it's not Copley Square or as convenient as the "old" waterfront (where the Aquarium is), I think you can get a very good deal on a super nice NEW hotel. A friend stayed at the Marriott there (via Priceline, paid something like 80/night?)and loved it. It's a 5-10 minute T ride intown but they walked it most of the time.

The hotel had some water views and the n=hood isn't bad. It's not Newbury street, but it's safe and all newly developed.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Question

I stayed at the new Marriott Renaissance Waterfront Hotel this past Saturday night. The deal was on hotwire, so definitely book your hotel thru that site, it's SUCH a great idea. I wanted to stay at the Seaport Hotel but it was booked up solid no matter how you tried to stay there! It's just so gorgeous there, in fact, I liked the Seaport Hotel's lobby SO MUCH better than the Marriott's when I saw theres this past Saturday. As far as the decor & elegance is concerned with these two outstanding properties, the Seaport Hotel wins in that department hands down!

As Seaport Concierge mentioned previously, you can get to Logan via the water taxi, the silver line, a taxi. You can walk in to downtown in no time, especially this time of year. It's just a beautiful part of Boston to be in for that reason alone. It actually reminded me of a seaside town in Europe when I walked outside after checking in with all the outdoor patio seating places thru there that they have now.

There was a wedding party having their pictures taken in the park, then afterwards they were all at the outdoor patio at the Marriott having a cocktail before there function started.

I'm going to be writing up a review on the Marriott Renaissance Hotel, so look for it soon. It usually takes a few days for TA to post them. I'd definitely stay there again, but like I said**this is especially for Seaport Concierge**I TRIED to stay at the Seaport Hotel first, it was my number 1 choice. I even wanted to pay for the room upfront without bidding for it on Hotwire, but it's just so popular these days that it was booked up solid all weekend long. There's a LOT of activity going on over there that's for sure! I could see why when I was there last week, it's quite a hotel. Next time I'm in Boston with friends and I need to stay over night, that's the hotel I'm hoping to stay at next, believe me!

This time on Saturday night, I got a room on the 14th floor at the Marriott Renaissance. When I arrived that afternoon I took SO many pictures of the Harbor with all the sailboats cruising along. The next morning I got up early and took even more. I'll have to post some good ones on TA when I get a minute. You would swear I was "Tammy Tourist" that never saw a sailboat in her life! The room they gave me was absolutely beautiful it overlooked the Harbor toward the old North Church's steeple. My old stomping grounds, the neighborhood of Charlestown could be seen too, especially the harbor area. I could see Boston's World Trade Center and on the other side, the skyline and all the office buildings. The new Convention center was right on the left of my window too, that's quite an incredible building, isn't it.

You have no idea how convenient it was for me to stay over night. Just being able to walk out the door of that hotel lobby, go around the corner, cross the street for the concert. That was SO GREAT because I was actually there for the Bonnie Raitt & Taj Mahal concert, which got a great review the next day, it really was a terrific concert. Afterwards, I didn't have to worry about the traffic, the long drive home or all the maniacs out on the road we have now. I just LOVED staying in town at this end of the City. I think it's going to be my new thing to do, not only that but it's also a good way to check out the different hotels while I'm there.

You know OhioTrav, whatever you decide, definitely get to that Hotwire site for a really good rate on one of the 4 or 5 star hotels. My only regret is that I didn't go lower in my bid, LOL! Yet I still made out like a bandit, I was certainly happy about this rate. I plugged in $99 and got it, there's a "leisure tax" on top of that since August 1st I think it went in to effect something like that and the total was $126 a night around that. That way it's getting a lot like NYC with the various tax charges they have now. Next, evidently the City wants to do a "city tax" like NYC's city tax, or so the rumor goes.

You know, you really can't get a 4 star Hotel in town for that kind of money a night even with the tax on top of that. It was still well worth going the Hotwire route, so remember that.

Do NOT rule out the Seaport District, ever. It's not just up and coming, it's already "there" and there's more going on right now thru out that area with more restaurants and hotels being put there all the time. I'm seriously waiting for the new huge Mall to arrive, next! It's especially GREAT this time of year to be right near the Harbor.

Wherever you decide to stay, have a wonderful time in Boston.