We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Boston for first time

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Boston for first time

Hi! I'm planning a trip to Boston in August/September 2010. I intend to go on a tour of the Maritimes, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. The tour starts and finishes in Boston.

I wondering if anyone could please suggest an itinerary of things to see and do in Boston. It will give me an idea of how many additional days that I will want to stay in the city.

I love history, nature and finding out about the people and the culture of the places that I visit. Ideally I’d like to visit places that the locals like to go to, as they’re usually the most interesting.

I’m not into the nightlife i.e. clubs and pubs. I’d rather visit a museum or park overlooking the city etc. To give an example: when I travelled to Vancouver last year, I visited (and absolutely loved) Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain and Elizabeth Bay. I’m stopping off in Vancouver on my way back home to Perth, just so that I can go back to those places and also visit the other places in and around Vancouver that I didn’t have the time to see when I was there last year. I’m really looking forward to it. The Canadians are wonderful people! They’re so friendly, polite and helpful. I absolutely LOVED Canada and her people and have been yearning to return there. I'm hpoing that I will have the same feeling about Boston.

Any information about Boston would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Boston for first time

Suggest you search a little on this website for things to do to see specifically what interests you.

Are you planning on staying in Boston proper or do you want to do day trips outside of the city? Are you looking at museums that are only geered toward historical interest or do you like art and science?

Freedom Trail -- 1 day

Boston Harbor Islands -- 1 day

A Museum (or more) -- 1 day

Further exploration of city -- 1 day

If you go out of the city you could visit Concord and Lexington or Salem, Mass. -- add another day

Boston
Level Contributor
6,500 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Boston for first time

They are not rural by any means, but if you like parks you should visit the Boston Common (a lot of history has happened there), The Public Garden (take a ride on the Swan Boats), the Esplanade along the river. Also, take a walk down the Commonwealth Avenue mall which is a park that runs down the middle of Comm. Ave. (as we locals say it), which is a beautiful street lined on each side with 19th century townhomes.

3. Re: Visiting Boston for first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 14:35
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Boston for first time

If you want a beautiful park with a Boston overlook, you can't do better than the Arnold Arboretum.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Boston for first time

Hi,

I'd also suggest you look into taking a trip to one of the Boston Harbor Islands in the National Park. It's a beautiful place, right in the Harbor, with stunning views of Boston.

http://www.bostonislands.org/

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Boston for first time

Because of your description of your interests, I agree strongly about the Boston Harbor Islands. These islands are now a national park. Do at least visit Fort Warren on George's Island (the biggest island, I think, and certainly the most visited). I think you might also enjoy a whale watch trip. Walking around Beacon Hill (one of the very oldest parts of Boston, and very historic) is something I enjoy a lot, and there is a very nice little main street (Charles Street) there with lots of cafes, unique shops and restaurants. Perhaps you should include the historic towns of Concord and Lexington too. These have some of the key Revolutionary War sites, and they are actually very pretty towns as well. There is a rural feeling around the Old North Bridge site in Concord, and a couple of miles away from there there's a great wildlife refuge called Great Meadows (especially good during waterfowl migration and early or late in the day). Enjoy.

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Boston for first time

I agree with Mahj 100%. Add cheap ride on the Commuter Boats in the Hahbah.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Boston for first time

Thankyou for all the advice.

Just one more thing. How many days do you recommend that I need to spend in Boston to see everything? I'm in the process of organsing my trip itinerary and would appreciate any advice. This will probably be the first and last time that I will get to visit what seems to be a very beautiful city. Therefore I want to see and experience as much as possible - my somewhat rather limited budget permitting!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Boston for first time

Many folks plan 3 or 4 days here, although there's plenty to do to fill many more.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Boston for first time

You should try to spend one day in the Fenway area and visit the Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. They are very close to each other and border the "Fens" which is part of Boston's "Emerald Necklace" (a system of connecting city parks and waterways designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, who also designed New York's Central Park, that runs through Boston.) The Fenway section of the Emerald Necklace has a nice rose garden and a large section of pretty victory gardens. The Gardner museum also has a nice central garden courtyard (that's indoors if it rains.) Also, see if there are any events happening at the Hatch Shell while you are here. It's on the Charles River and the park along the Charles is also lovely. They often have orchestras, movies or other events that time of year. http://www.mass.gov/dcr/hatch_events.htm . Shakespeare on the Common is also a fun city event that generally happens in July/August. It's free and the plays are always great. The Boston Common is across the street from the Public Gardens right in the middle of Boston. You should definitely check out both. Have fun!