We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
so, what's the best restaurant in Boston now?

the question about where to go for a 50th birthday made me realize that with Aujourd'hui gone I really don't know of a big splurge restaurant in Boston anymore.

so what's the best, money is no object, very fancy, expensive, fine dining experience in Boston these days?

or if there is nothing really fancy anymore, where could you spend the most money the quickest? Is there anything comparable in Boston these days to a place like Grammercy Tavern in NYC?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: so, what's the best restaurant in Boston now?

I would never pretend to be able to pick one "best" restaurant in any city. But Clio would definitely meet your criteria -- celebrity chef Ken Orringer, expensive, elegant atmosphere, creative cooking etc. Once upon a time I might have said L'Espalier, but I have seen some negative reports since it moved to its new location.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: so, what's the best restaurant in Boston now?

neslaw1 ate it.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: so, what's the best restaurant in Boston now?

O Ya gets a lot of national attention. I think you could spend a lot a money really quickly at Upstairs on the Square in the Soiree Room - and enjoy it very, very much.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: so, what's the best restaurant in Boston now?

Thomas:

How are you?

Morton's across from the Seaport Hotel.

I would even suggest to email theseaportconcierge on this site..Ask him for help making a reservation. I am sure you are able to do this, but his influence may get you a great table...

Stop into his hotel and have a cocktail.....The Bar is very nice......computers the lobby to blog about your night...lol.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: so, what's the best restaurant in Boston now?

The whole darn restaurant??? That's alot even for me.

And don't bother coming to the Cape cause I am having the best vacation. Report to follow, if I can remember anything. Don't have the best memory. :)

Boston
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: so, what's the best restaurant in Boston now?

I think L'Espalier is still at or near the top of the list for best very elegant, big splurge special occassion restaurant in Boston.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: so, what's the best restaurant in Boston now?

What about Locke-Ober's? I've never been there but the mention of it in the 50th birthday dinner thread made me think of it.

Obviously I don't eat at this sort of place very often, but we had an anniversary dinner at Aujourd'hui once, and the level of service made quite an impression on me. I'm just wondering what other restaurants there are now in Boston where multiple waitstaff are all over your table and someone is handing out steaming towels in the men's room.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: so, what's the best restaurant in Boston now?

Lock-Ober is still good...

Their business is off and has been for a while....Lunch has been gone for a few years....The atmosphere has changed.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: so, what's the best restaurant in Boston now?

Locke Ober is definitely another very nice special occasion restaurant. It was taken over by Lydia Shire several years ago. She updated the menu, but left on the classics. It still has the luxurious old Boston decor, but it has been spruced up.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: so, what's the best restaurant in Boston now?

I'll say the atmosphere at Locke-Ober has changed. At the time I was last there, during the LBJ administration, women were allowed in the bar on only two rather rare occasions: the evening following the Harvard-Yale football game in years when The Game was at Harvard, and I forget the other one.

I was taken there a few times by a wealthy cousin of my college roommate when he would visit from Baton Rouge. It seemed like a place I really didn't belong. Then again, practically any place higher on the status chart than the IHoP seemed that way in those days.

All that aside, I'd be curious to experience it again.