We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to avoid driving to the airport

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to avoid driving to the airport

Being a bit worried about driving to Logan airport after only driving in small towns in NH for a few days (from Australia - so wrong side and all that!)I was wondering if anyone knew of an Avis depot where we could leave the car and then catch some sort of public transport (with all our bags) straight to the airport. Don't want to drive in the city so within an hour's travelling time would be fine.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to avoid driving to the airport

I understand your concerns. I've only driven on the "other" side of the road once in my life, in Melbourne many years ago, when my driver had had so much to drink at dinner that I had to literally wrestle the car keys away from him, and even then he pulled the emergency brake on me while I was driving, to try to force me to stop at a bar on the way home.

I think you'll find it harder to drive on "our" side of the road in small towns in NH, but, that being said, it appears that there are Avis rental agencies outside of Boston itself. Without more of your itinerary, it's a little hard to make a specific suggestion, but IF (big IF) Avis would let you drop your car off in Woburn, that might work - you could probably (best) arrange for an airport limousine to meet you there and take you directly to the airport.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to avoid driving to the airport

Check with Avis 800 number - they can find a spot for you - you might ask to be transferred to a boston area AVIS phone number. If you are coming from New Hampshire check to see if there are any Avis places near a train or Metro station - any commuters out ther with information??

jhg

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to avoid driving to the airport

Just to add a little more information to those who have answered so promptly (and thank you). We are staying 4 nights in Peterborough and then have a free night to go probably north of Boston - even the coast maybe - haven't done that bit yet. Are there train services which go straight to the airport?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to avoid driving to the airport

There is public transportation (subway) from North Station in Boston (which has commuter rail service from the Boston suburbs) but not a direct train from outside of town to Logan airport itself.

You might even consider (this is just off the top of my head) staying one night in Manchester, NH and taking some kind of Logan "limo" from there (it should be easy to research what that would cost). I'm assuming you could drop a car off at an Avis depot in Manchester.

Really I think you are better off sucking it up, driving into the big city (Boston), ditching the car, possibly at the airport, and spending your last night in town.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to avoid driving to the airport

Are you renting your car in Boston/Logan? There will probably be an additional fee if you return the car to a different location than where you rent it. Add to that the cost and inconvenience of transporting you and luggage to Logan from a distant location-- if it's lots of luggage then public transportation might prove difficult. Just drive carefully and stay to the right (that is the "slow lane" on our roads) and you should be fine.

Please tell me that you have planned to spend time in Boston before heading off to Peterborough -- if not, I would recommend shaving a little time off Peterborough and spending 1 or 2 nights in Boston after returning your car.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to avoid driving to the airport

Avis locations near boston ( I googled Avis Locations - Boston,Massachusetts).

Westin Hotel Waltham, MA 10 miles

Charles Hotel, Harvard Square Cambridge- 3 miles (Traffic will be about the same as boston here)

Square One Mall -Saugus - 7 miles

Sheraton Tara - Framingham - about 20 miles (probably the easiest traffic wise; there is a commuter train in Framingham but not very close to the hotel (You would have to connect to the airport line (silver??) in Boston)

There are other locations also. I am not sure of public transportation options for these but maybe someone else will.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,418 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How to avoid driving to the airport

Most of the roads going to the Airport are highways of one sort or another, so you wouldn't be encountering "wrong way" traffic. And most city streets are either one way or have an island in the middle. Also bear in mind that all the rental cars are automatic transmissions, so that's one issue you won't need to "learn". All in all, I think you'll find it easier driving here than you're anticipating.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to avoid driving to the airport

I understand your concerns about driving into Logan. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. You mentioned possibly wanting to stay on the Massachusetts coast your last night. Avis has a location in Peabody at the North Shore Mall. You could take a taxi to a nearby hotel in Peabody or Danvers. Some hotels may have a shuttle that would pick you up at Avis (you could walk from Avis to the Marriott Courtyard in Danvers if you drop off your luggage first. However, this involves crossing 2 busy streets so not a great idea). Then to get to the airport, you could take a taxi (or maybe hotel shuttle) to the Logan Express in Peabody. This bus takes you directly to Logan for $12 one-way. Another option would be to pre-arrange a shuttle or limo from the hotel to Logan. North Shore is one service.

If you want to stay right on the coast, your taxi expenses would climb. However, if you get to Massachusetts early enough in the day, you could tour the area before returning your rental. Just be aware that the Peabody Avis location isn't open in the evening and has rather limited weekend hours--I've learned this first-hand.

2. According to the Avis website, they have a location in Woburn on Commerce Way. This is near Routes I93 and I95 and would be somewhat more convenient for a trip from Peterborough, but isn't so near the coast. There are a number of hotels nearby and the Logan Express Woburn is also not far (again a bus directly to Logan for $12 one-way). I don't know this area especially well, so maybe someone else can comment on the feasibility of this approach.

www.massport.com/LOGAN/getti_typeo_logan.html

http://www.northshoreshuttle.com/

9. Re: How to avoid driving to the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 22:33
10. Re: How to avoid driving to the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 05:19