We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days outside Boston with kids

Bermuda
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 days outside Boston with kids

Help please!! We have a short trip planned (arrive 24th Oct, leave 28th Oct) and want to head out of Boston to see some foliage (I know it's a bit late but its the school hols) also stay some nice places with kids. I've done Cape Cod, Rhode Island, Salem & Plymouth areas before and want to try something different this time. Can anybody please suggest an itinerary which would involve being based in one really nice place for those 4 nights and then do day trips from there to do kid friendly stuff like hiking, visiting farms, nice shops, etc?

Any advice will be much appreciated!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,066 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days outside Boston with kids

Consider the Berkshires ...

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days outside Boston with kids

Let's see. The Berkshires are a really beautiful area. The "main" town out there is probably Lenox, but many of the other towns are really beautiful. There is certainly plenty of hiking around there. There would be a little less going on than in the summertime, perhaps -- but there are also lots of cultural things out there (for example, the great art museum at Williams College -- gorgeous). Although this is farther east, I really enjoy Northampton and think it would actually be kind of fun for kids. it's a great town for walking around, with lots and lots of young-appealing shops and restaurants.

Closer to Boston, what about Concord and Lexington? They are massively historic, but have nice town centers, and are both very beautiful and easy to walk around. Although you need a car to get to some parts, that are not right in the town centers. You could also add a side trip (not on the same day) to Plymouth, and especially the "Plimouth Plantation" complex. I honestly think most kids love it. Oh, and that bring to mind another site where they do a large scale historic re-enactment, namely, Sturbridge Village (early 19th Century, if I remember correctly) -- complete with a stocked General Store, blacksmith, teams of horses. Fun place for kids.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days outside Boston with kids

You may want to give some thought to New Hampshire and Vermont. You can base yourself in one area and see a ton of small farmsie stuff in less than an hour drive. Burlington and Stowe VT are great small towns. Of course this means being about two to three hours from Logan to set up base... but if you are Bostoned out then this may be a nice side trip.

Another idea may be the Maine coast. Though there will be less to do there are some great deals and there will be alot less people to get in the way. My fiancee and I head up to the coast of Maine once or twice a year during the winter when everyone else has left... and I love it!

Good Luck!

4. Re: 4 days outside Boston with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 05:18