We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston, Kennebunkport, Freyberg, Portsmouth

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Boston, Kennebunkport, Freyberg, Portsmouth

We are staying 2 nights in each area. We plan to attend a Harvard football game,see Lexington/Concord one day. The rest is open? Thought about Portsmouth Harbor Cruise and Eagle Island Tour in Portland of lighthouses, and drive the Kacamagus Hwy. Would love any neat restaurants, places to stop, etc. Thanks in advance...Leaving in 2 weeks

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston, Kennebunkport, Freyberg, Portsmouth

Just a thought ... Kennebunkport, Maine and Portsmouth, New Hampshire are fairly close to each other ... and Portsmouth is just over an hour from Boston. you may not want to spend two nights in BOTH places ... you could add an extra day to your Boston stay and see some of Boston proper.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston, Kennebunkport, Freyberg, Portsmouth

Go Crimson!

You're targeting some great places. Regarding the Kancamagus Highway, I assume you're aware that it's a siginficant drive from any of the places you'll be staying? But in that vein, this thread contains what passes in my head for sound advice: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k306546…

In the Portsmouth area, Odiorne Point is very nice.

Have a nice trip.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston, Kennebunkport, Freyberg, Portsmouth

Recently drove along the NH coast which is quite nice.

I agree that Portsmount and Kennebunkport are too close for 2 days each- you could also add that extra day suggested to the White Mountain portion of the trip. I am assuming you have reservations somewhere in Fryeburg as it can be busy especially on weekends. Not alot of people mention Fryeburg but it is a convenient as anywhere to exploring the White mountains.

Here are some links for places to go and eat.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20158-Restaura…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19621-Circling…

Also, recently ate at Petey's in Rye NH. It is open year round. Not the cheapest, but good food.

http://www.peteys.com/

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston, Kennebunkport, Freyberg, Portsmouth

Good advice!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston, Kennebunkport, Freyberg, Portsmouth

Actually, I wasn't thinking about Fryeberg when I talked about the Kancamagus being far away. It's actually not far at all from Fryeberg.

Kittery, Maine
Level Contributor
862 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston, Kennebunkport, Freyberg, Portsmouth

As a native to the Portsmouth N.H. /southern Maine area here are some of my suggestions for our area.

Downtown Portsmouth is a lively and quaint location especially for the weekend. Be sure to stop by the new Irish pub Ri Ra in Market Square - the food is excellent and the bar is very popular. A quieter spot also in the square is Popovers - make sure to leave room for a delicious pastry there or have a capuccino at neighboring Breaking New Grounds. Don't miss a stroll around the beautiful gardens at Prescott Park and the nearby tugboats. Perhaps a sunset or Isles of Shoals cruise would strike your fancy. The stop-over at Star Island makes a fascinating 3 hours and memorable spot for a picnic.

Wentworth By The Sea is on the quaint island village of Newcastle N.H. and worth the 5 minute drive - it's an historic old victorian seaside hotel and spa renovated and refurbished by Marriott with more beautiful gardens and a wonderful marina-side restaurant called Latitudes. Be sure to order one of their signature mojitos!!!!

In Maine - plenty of shopping at the Kittery outlet malls just across the bridge from Portsmouth and then drive 3 miles to our beautiful Pepperell Cove overlooking the lighthouses and a great lunch spot right there at Capn Simeon's Galley.

York Beach is a 10 minute ride up the road - either RT 1 or coastal Rt103. Be sure to stop to see the Nubble lighthouse, enjoy an ice cream cone there at Browns and then see the salt water taffee being pulled at the Goldenrod which is excellent for lunch a light supper. John Perry's Model T Ford is always parked outside when he's painting magnificent clipper ships at Shelton's gift shop across the street - fascinating to watch. The Lobster Barn on Rt 1 in York has an outdoor venue out back that reminds my wife and I of our favorite Key West haunts - the music is outstanding and the half price mussels on Mon night are delicious! Another out of the way gem is the view from the top of local Mt Agamenticus - you'll see the vibrant fall colors and the blue ocean beyond - another 15 min drive from the beach.

Enjoy your time - I hope some of this is helpful - we just love living here and having it all close at hand.

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston, Kennebunkport, Freyberg, Portsmouth

Thank you very much for the wonderful ideas-hopefully we can do everything your list! Great comments! Looking forward to it all...

Boston
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston, Kennebunkport, Freyberg, Portsmouth

Kennebunkport is a beautiful area just to drive around in. I recommend driving through Biddeford pool, going to York (have to go to the Goldenrod to get Taffy!), exploring Freeport/Kittery outlets. Bob's Clam Shack in Kittery has some of the best fried clams around. Federal Jack's in Kennebunkport center is delicious as is Mabel's Lobster Claw for a lobster roll.

9. Re: Boston, Kennebunkport, Freyberg, Portsmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2010, 04:18