We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Now Serving Logan - Trip Report

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest Now Serving Logan - Trip Report

This is a trip report in reverse. I left Boston, but since I did it via, Southwest, an airline that just recently began serving BOS, I thought I'd let my friends on FB know about it.

What a positive experience. Checking in online within minutes of the earliest check-in time put me in the "a" group for seating, which gave me a good selection of seats. They line you up just before boarding.

At first I was dubious. For the flight out, the plane was 10 minutes late getting to the gate (which, in fairness, isn't uncommon for any airline). Despite that, we got loaded up and out and it wasn't a significant delay at all.

The people who fly Southwest seem like a distinct crowd. They seem to like the system, love the airline, and move quickly. I've never seen such a big plane loaded and unloaded so quickly.

The great thing for me was that I was going BOS-BWI, which is usually a tiny commuter jet with no storage space. Their fat 737 had big seats and storage spaces. The staff was great, etc. I was very pleased.

Thought I'd share ...

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest Now Serving Logan - Trip Report

With Manchester, NH as my home airport, I use Southwest more frequently than any other airline. They do a very good job, and they do provide a distinctive experience. The boarding procedure is unusual and not to everyone's taste, but they must have concluded that it expedites matters, and they usually get away from the gate relatively quickly. The cabin personnel are encouraged to create a party atmosphere by telling jokes, singing, and the like. Although there are times when I wish I had an assigned seat and times when I'm not in the mood for all the banter, overall I would say they provide excellent service in the increasingly strained and stressful air travel market. I'm a bit sorry that I'm not likely to see what their Boston service is like.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest Now Serving Logan - Trip Report

The snarky banter was pretty minimal, which was a good thing.

I was told that previously (before they changed their system), you had to hold your spot in line physically, which I would not have liked. Now, it's quite easy. I checked in right on time, 24 hours ahead as soon as possible, and ended up in the A group. Just before the flight, we lined up by number and filed onto the plane and ... it was the most efficient plane loading/unlading I've seen.

Beyond the system, the people seem to get it: the sooner we're ready, the sooner we'll go. At BWI, we left the gate early becuase we were ready early.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest Now Serving Logan - Trip Report

Yup, i've flown SW, Providence to BWI with good expereiences.. The first time I did it there were 3 lines A, B, and C but not numbers with in that line. Even then, no problems. And people were good about changing seats so a child would not be separated from BOTH parents, that sort of thing.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest Now Serving Logan - Trip Report

I won a contest getting two plane tickets wherever SW flew. I couldn't check in online so I had to get my boarding passes at the airport. My two boys got A boarding passes because I got them 24 hrs before. At the airport my husband and I got C passes. We ended up getting to go with my sons who were holding A passes. SW take on this was we will not seperate parents from children no matter what boarding passes you have. I thought that was great. I'm not a fan of the A,B,C system but for them it works. The money I save flying SW is worth the hassle of not having assigned seats. To earn a profit they must be doing something right. I ever talked to the flight attendants on a long flight to Phoenix. They told me that SW is totally flexible with how many hours they work. They can work as much or as little as they want. I guess that keeps them happy too.

5. Re: Southwest Now Serving Logan - Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2010, 05:25