We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An Enjoyable Trip in Boston

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
An Enjoyable Trip in Boston

Just returned from my trip to Boston and New York City and enjoyed both cities very much. This was my real first trip to Boston as my very first trip was when I was much younger. I arrived at Boston on Labor day and stayed at the Sheraton Back Bay for 5 days. The hotel is very well located as it is within The Prudential Center and the T station is also within the complex. Boston as a city reminds me of New York as it is compact and busy, may I add the smells too. It is true you can walk between Faneuil Hall to Downtown Crossing to Boston Common however going from Copley to Fanueil Hall is abit far and taking the T is recommended. I purchased the 7 day T pass and used it extensively.

Following the red bricks for The Freedom Trail is a great idea. Boston Common is not as good as I thought but The Public Garden is beautiful. The Esplanade is also a great place to sit and chill. The most disappointed part of the whole trip is The Whale Watch. I have pre-booked my tickets with New England Aquarium however the trip was cancelled due to bad weather. Turned up the following day at 9am to try again and it was cancelled too so never made it to see the whales. To make up the disappointment I climbed the 290+ steps up to the top of Bunker Hill Monument.

The last day in the city, the weather was throwing it down. Personally a 4 day visit would have been enough for me. Many people have asked whether to travel to Boston or Washington DC? Not aiming to offend the great people of Boston, on a personal view, I would pick Washington DC. Overall though this was a very worthwhile visit.

New England Holocaust Memorial
Monuments & Statues, History Museums
Bunker Hill
Monuments & Statues, Historic Sites
Level Contributor
35 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An Enjoyable Trip in Boston

Glad you enjoyed your stay. Sounds like you walked nearly everywhere in the city. Safe travels to you.

Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An Enjoyable Trip in Boston

Weather can certainly have an impact on any trip no matter where you go. As to length of visit I guess it depends on what you like to do. Thanks for reporting!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,554 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An Enjoyable Trip in Boston

Thanks for the trip report. Sorry you didn't get to go whale watching ... maybe next time?

Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An Enjoyable Trip in Boston

Glad you had a backup plan, in case the whale watch trip didn't happen. This is always a possibility with anything in the outdoors especially in New England. Bunker Hill was a good choice.

Are you talking about choosing BETWEEN Boston and Washington D.C. altogether? It's hard to say. Boston will appeal more to many people, but each destination is unique. Boston is a more "organic" city, not as dependent on one "industry" as is Washington D.C. (the federal government). But D.C. is very, very impressive and can be beautiful. Do D.C. next time!

5. Re: An Enjoyable Trip in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2010, 05:19
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question