We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

21st in Boston!!!

southern Maine
Level Contributor
43 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
21st in Boston!!!

My birthday is on a Monday (Nov 2) and I'm planning on having a celebratory night that Friday (Nov 6) and staying in Boston until Sunday morning.

I'm not sure where would be a good place to begin the night, maybe a nice dinner with some drinks not over the top expensive and I would also like some Idea's of fun clubs.

Also is the Comfort inn and suites in downtown Boston or close enough for a cheap taxi fare? I either want to be walking around or taking a Cab, we will be driving down to Boston since it's only a little over 2 hours from where I live.

Thanks in advance for all your help. This site has helped me many times plan my vacations and I appreciate your input.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 21st in Boston!!!

What's "not over the top expensive" for you? Any preference on cuisine? Do you mean nice as in upscale, or just good food?

Are you looking for clubs or bars? I know you'll be new to the bar scene, but not all nightlife is created equal and one person's idea of a really great, cool bar is another person's 7th circle of hell (and vice versa). Are you looking to barhop? Get bottle service at somewhere more upscale? A rock club? A bar playing Top 40 dance music?

Also, will everyone with you be 21?

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 21st in Boston!!!

If you're into doing things that you couldn't officially do before, and you like beer, I suggest The Publick House pub in Brookline (next to Boston). They have more than a couple hundred beers - several pages of single-spaced beer menu - many made by monks in obscure abbeys in Europe, some corked and clamped like champagne. And some from nearer, more famous places. You can experience microbreweries all over the place, but these are special.

If you want to feel on top of the world on Your Day, there's the lounge at the Top of the Hub, near the top of the Prudential tower, overlooking Boston, the Charles River, Cambridge and the harbor. Then there are the harbor dinner cruises on the Odyssey and a couple of other ships. Some things you might not be able to do back home...

Boston
Level Contributor
6,633 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 21st in Boston!!!

Are you sure you are downtown? I don't know of a Comfort Inn and Suites downtown.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 21st in Boston!!!

The Comfort Inn is not located in Downtown Boston. It is located in Revere. You can get a shuttle bus to the airport stop and take the subway into Boston ($2.) The T stops operatin relatively early so you will probably need to take a cab back to you hotel.. The Cab fare runs about $20-$25 from Faneuil Hall to the The Comfort Inn and Suites. Your best bet for a 21st Birthday celebration is to have dinner in the North End and walk to the Pubs in the Faneuil Hall area.

southern Maine
Level Contributor
43 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 21st in Boston!!!

Nothing over $20 a plate, I would like to have my first night there just be some good food, Thai, Mexican or American Grill in which I can enjoy a couple drinks before heading out.

Bars or clubs, I have been to both before and enjoy then equally. I'd like a place where I can go with my girls to dance and have fun but where the guys can sit and have a couple beers and not have to be pushed onto the dance floor. even if there was a place to hop from one place to another so we can all find something we like. I'm not sure yet if i want to go all out and get get a VIP room somewhere or not. that's why I'm asking some questions to find if one place will accommodate all my needs!

everyone will be 21, it wouldn't be much fun for someone to have to sit in the hotel while the rest of us go out =) I've been there.

is there a certain area of the city that would have the most places to go?

thanks for the quick response! Thanks for your help!

southern Maine
Level Contributor
43 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 21st in Boston!!!

I was just seeing about the comfort inn because i work there and can get rooms for 35$ a night... just trying to save some money!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 21st in Boston!!!

It sounds like Faneuill Hall is right up your alley, in that case.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 21st in Boston!!!

Or, come to think of it, the area known as The Alley--there are a bunch of places there as well like Alley Bar, the Liquor Store, Estate, etc. Slightly more clubb-y than the places in Faneuill Hall and still well within your age range.

For an inexpensive dinner not too far away, you could look into Silvertone (although note: they don't take reservations), The Good Life, Montien, or somewhere in Chinatown might be fun.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 21st in Boston!!!

If you are looking for Mexican I would recommend Border Cafe in Harvard Square, Cambridge would be the place for you. Good Tex/ MEX food with a Cajun Flair and it is relatively cheap!

An option for Mexican in the Faneuil Hall area would be Zumas Tex Mex Cafe.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 21st in Boston!!!

For several proximate venues, I think Lansdowne Street should not be missed. Several places like and including House of Blues. Right in the shadow of The Ancient & Hallowed Grounds. For the eating style you indicate, I think Remay is spot on re the North End. (Given the direction you're coming from, you're probably one of the few to whom I wouldn't recommend seafood restaurants...)