We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day boston trip

Roanoke, Virginia
4 posts
Save Topic
5 day boston trip

i'm planning to head up to boston tentatively oct 16-20. i want to see as much as possible, but my sightseeing will be on foot/bus/etc as i'm flying into the area. my lodging is already set and restaurants are no big deal to me. i want to see as much as possible and enjoy taking pictures. i know next to nothing about the area but was thinking about trying to spend a day, possibly 2, in cape cod if i could find a decent way other there as i see ferries may not be running when i'm going. i was thinking 1 or 2 days to cape cod, possibly a day to salem, and the rest of the time in boston. maybe a whale watch, sam adams tour, red sox game if tix can be found and they make it to the alcs. would i be able to make it to many lighthouses in one day? is cape cod or salem even worth the time or should i be exploring boston more? any and all advice is very appreciated. budget is a consideration, but not a huge deal.

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
592 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,056 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
711 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day boston trip

Salem and Cape Cod are both worthwhile, but I don't advise you to try to do both of them during a 4- or 5-day trip to Boston. And it sounds as though you won't have a car, which limits you.

You say your lodging is all set--so I assume you're planning to stay in or near the city every night? You mention possibly devoting two days to the Cape--you surely don't want to do two day trips there from Boston. If you're relying on public transportation, and you don't have a place to stay on the Cape, I don't think it makes much sense. (If there is a Provincetown ferry running when you're here, taking a day to do that might be worth it, but otherwise I think you'd be wasting your time.)

Salem offers the advantage of being close by, accessible by commuter rail, and walkable. I think that would make more sense.

As to lighthouses, you'd need either a car or a bus tour.

In any case, just staying in Boston-Cambridge wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day boston trip

You need to be a little clearer. When you say your lodging is all set, we must guess that you are booked to stay in Boston every night. This will affect what you do. i agree with the previous post that you don't want to try to see so much that you are racing here and racing there (and sitting on trains and buses) the whole time. But it's hard to advise you since I'm not sure if you need to be in a hotel room in Boston every night. About the lighthouses -- it sounds like you want to get a sense of the coastal area and Boston as a port -- if you're not talking about seeing lighthouses absolutely up close, you can see some when you travel to the Boston Harbor Islands (which is a national park or national recreation area). Here is a link: http://www.bostonislands.com/

Not sure how late it goes, but there is a public ferry that goes to George's Island. This is a fantastic thing to do if the weather is OK. The boat trip itself is kind of fun and the islands is historic and interesting, and offers amazing views. You will I think see some lighthouses but not up close -- on other islands, if I am remembering right. You can also walk along most of the Boston downtown waterfront, and see both ritzy and workaday sights. You can get to Cape cod easily by bus, the ferry from Boston only goes to Provincetown (although this would be a great thing to do, if it's running still-- Provincetown is fantastic).

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,029 Reviews
Boston, MA
George's Island
George's Island
153 Reviews
Boston, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,133 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day boston trip

Boston Harbor Cruise's ferry to Ptown stops Oct 11, Bay State Cruiseline's ferry to P-town stops the 13th, so you'd need to fly or take a bus to P-town. You won't get near many lighthouses without a car.

Salem is doable .... via ferry or commuter rail out of North Station.

There is plenty to do in Boston, too.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,029 Reviews
Boston, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Roanoke, Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day boston trip

thank you for the helpful replies. i'll probably pass on cape cod, i didn't realize it was quite as far from boston as it is. when i said my lodging is all set, specifically, my friend is in boston for work and i'll be staying w/ him in the free hotel room for my stay. i do believe i'll check out salem. other than that, from what i'm reading, it looks like i might just stick w/ boston and i'm sure that'll keep me plenty busy.

i'm almost scared to ask this, but does anyone have a guess what kind of price range an alcs game would be priced by the scalpers? i know it's a tough ticket, but i'm trying to see all the stadiums in my lifetime and i'd really like to try to see fenway while i'm in town w/ my friend.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,458 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day boston trip

Stubhub has them listed between $170 to $3000 but that's today and could certainly change. Not sure how much they'd go for on the street but that's a 'ballpark' idea. At the very least you can take a 50 minute tour of the park. boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ballpark/tour.jsp

Good choice altering your plans since you won't have the car. You'll find plenty to do.

6. Re: 5 day boston trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2010, 05:18