We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gourmet grocery or similar?

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Gourmet grocery or similar?

Hi Bostonians!

My best friend lives in Boston but I live in Athens, Greece. I'd like to send her a gift for a very special occasion, and since she loves cooking gourmet, I was thinking of a gift certificate to a nice gourmet grocery store somewhere in Boston. Cambridge/Watertown area would be closest to her, but open to all ideas. It doesn't need to be wine-oriented, as she's not into alcohol, just food. Sorry if this is not really travel-oriented, but I know how knowledgeable TA'ers are, so couldn't think of anyone better to ask. Thanks in advance!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,889 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gourmet grocery or similar?

Everybody here loves Trader Joe's and there is one in both Cambridge and Boston.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gourmet grocery or similar?

I think Cardullo's in Harvard Square is very special. Things she won't find in one place anywhere else in Boston/Cambridge/Watertown.

http://www.cardullos.com/

bostonmagazine.com/best_of/…

There's also Formaggio in Cambridge which is very nice.

cityvoter.com/formaggio-244-huron-avenue-hur…

I like Cardullo's the best in the area for variety of hard to get items from around the world. (It's where I get my clotted cream.) Sorry for setting up a possible dilemma. But that's probably going to be your plight once all of us are awake, this morning, anyway...

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gourmet grocery or similar?

http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/huronave

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
324 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gourmet grocery or similar?

Russos' in Watertown is my favorite:

http://www.russos.com/

Formaggio in Cambridge is excellent.

Trader Joes or Whole Foods ( there is a very good one in Cambridge on Fresh Pond).

Boston
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gourmet grocery or similar?

I would second either Formaggio Kitchen or Russo's in Watertown.

Whole Foods is basically an upscale, organic-oriented supermarket. Trader Joe's is fine, but not particulary special.

Formaggio and Russo's I consider more in a "special" gourmet-like category.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gourmet grocery or similar?

"I would second either Formaggio Kitchen or Russo's in Watertown.

Whole Foods is basically an upscale, organic-oriented supermarket. Trader Joe's is fine, but not particulary special.

Formaggio and Russo's I consider more in a "special" gourmet-like category."

I agree, except Whole Foods does have an excellent selection of cheeses, olive oil, and just about everything else you would need to assemble a goumet meal...I've never been a big fan of Trader Joes....I also second Cardullo's.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gourmet grocery or similar?

Definitely Formaggio Kitchen. If she's a big meat eater, maybe Savenors.

Trader Joe's is a good place for basic groceries, but it's not a gourmet market.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,557 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gourmet grocery or similar?

I would recommend Whole Foods. It has everything and there are several near where she lives. My second choice would be Formaggio's but I think Whole Foods has a much bigger selection. Although I lover Russo's, I would not consider it a gourmet food store. It does have a good selection of things, but if she is into food, I don't think Russo's has ever met a piece of organic produce. If they have I have not seen it.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gourmet grocery or similar?

Well I guess we all agree on Formaggio Kitchen. I mention Russo's because it does seem to have a lot of hard-to find items. For instance I was in there the other day and saw tamarind root.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
324 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gourmet grocery or similar?

Russos' carries variety of gourmet mushrooms - fresh and dry, cheeses, truffle olive oils, fresh pasta,baked goods. Their selection of Panetones ( in season) is much better than that of Whole Foods.

The selection of organics is admiteddly lower than that of Whole Foods ( they do carry organic salads and some other things). However, I am very picky when it comes to greens and Russos' produce looks much fresher. I prefer to buy seasonal, though.

The only thing that Russos' currently doesn't have is decent meat and fish section. Who knows - they started as a tiny veggy market, look at them now.