We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First weekend in Boston in 10 years -- what to do?

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First weekend in Boston in 10 years -- what to do?

I am a BU alum but graduated in 1990. Lived on Newbury St. my last year there. Have not been back to visit in about 10 years. Arriving Fri 11/13 in early p.m. and leaving Sun. a.m. Thinking of staying at Nine Zero but wondering what great "new" places there are to have dinner and drinks over the weekend. The one place I know I have to go to is Giacomo's in the North End which was always a favorite so long ago. But, I am sure there are newer, better places to explore. Imagine my surprise when I looked online and saw there was a hotel on top of the Kenmore Sq. T station when all I remember is the Paradise, the Rat and a Pizzeria Uno!. Any thoughts would be appreciated. We eat all kinds of food and I am very comfortable taking the T anywhere we need to go.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First weekend in Boston in 10 years -- what to do?

Lots is new but I think one of the priorities would be to see around the downtown - Seaport area and for you to see what used to be "the Artery". You were here while they were working on burying the Artery, I think, but you will not believe what it looks like now that all that mess and construction is gone. Remember where Rowe's Wharf is? Still there, looks great, but now you can see it from farther away, and it's dramatic. There is a green landscape along most of the downtown route of the Artery (the "Rose Kennedy Greenway") and this is fine, but not so much a sight unto itself. but following some of this Greenway will be new and strange. Then if you cross the pedestrian bridge next to Rowe's Wharf, going over towards the Federal Courthouse across the Channel, you will be stunned by the Seaport area. So much has been built. The new ICA Museum, but also several hotels, office towers, and believe it or not, some happening restaurants. Might want to check out a bar called "Drink" over there. There is a Legal Seafoods over there called Legal Seafoods Test Kitchen but I don't know much about it -- it might be located on the water, I am not sure. There are some changes in Back Bay, the most dramatic of which is the new Mandarin Hotel sited on Boylston Street right in front of the Pru. I hate it because it crowds the sidewalk and has no setbacks, but that is where the L'Espalier has relocated. That building also includes Sel de la Terre.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First weekend in Boston in 10 years -- what to do?

If you have time, you may want to head out to BU's West Campus. Big changes there: FitRec Center, Agganis Arena, and the new high-rise apartment-style dorms.

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First weekend in Boston in 10 years -- what to do?

Wow, thanks for your replies. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't even know there was a Seaport district. Sounds like I have alot of exploring to do in too short a time in my favorite city in the world. I am so excited to see all the changes. The recommendation for Drink sounds great too. Thanks again.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First weekend in Boston in 10 years -- what to do?

I was going to give my usual flippant response about how the changes to the hub of the universe have been staggering in the past 10 years but then I realized it's true: the big dig has had an enormous effect on the walkability and general appeal of "downtown" and the back bay. Much more dramatic than I would have imagined. Really the biggest change since they started using Quincy Market for more than a flea market on the weekends.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,399 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First weekend in Boston in 10 years -- what to do?

Go to Quincy Market or Haymarket and walk to the North End ... just because you CAN without cutting thru dark, stinky,t\ tunnels or risking your life walking near the entrance to teh tunnel and on ramp to the expressway north to 93 and the tobin bridge!!!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First weekend in Boston in 10 years -- what to do?

I am not sure if you went to Buzzy's Roast Beef after a night of drinking during your college days. If so, you must have a drink at the Liberty Hotel. Buzzy's is gone and you will not believe what they did with the old Charles Street Jail!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First weekend in Boston in 10 years -- what to do?

You definitely won't recognize Kenmore Square. Eastern Standard in the (new to you) Commonwealth Hotel is a French-influenced brasserie that specializes in craft and vintage cocktails, which has been a great trend in Boston over the past couple of years (Drink is probably the grandaddy of them all on this department). I never though I'd be sipping scotch-and-champagne cocktails before a Sox game, but hey, it works.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First weekend in Boston in 10 years -- what to do?

I might as well stick this in here as anywhere, I suppose: My wife and I had dinner at Eastern Standard before a Sox game several weeks ago. It was our first visit (and only one so far), and I should acknowledge that Veronica's and others' endorsement influenced my decision to eat there. We found it outstanding in all respects. Highly recommended.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,819 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First weekend in Boston in 10 years -- what to do?

I'm enjoying this thread because it is reminding me how much has changed here for the good in just 10 years. While you're experiencing it in increments you really don't appreciate the full impact until it's all summed up.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is the Zakim bridge by the TD Garden. You will be impressed by this. It has quickly become a Boston landmark.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First weekend in Boston in 10 years -- what to do?

Don't plan on shopping at the original downtown Filene's Basement because it's not there :(