We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silver Anniversary Dinner Suggestions

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Silver Anniversary Dinner Suggestions

My husband and I are coming into town on Fri. for our 25th anniv. trip. We're staying three nights at the Millenium. I am looking for suggestions for our anniversary dinner. For this celebration, we would really like an historic location, an intimate setting, and expertly prepared food. We appreciate good restaurants and good food, more than over-the-top presentations involving quivering foams and streaky lines of sauce. This is a big one so we're willing to splurge. Italian, French, American cuisines would be great but we are open minded. Thanks in advance to all the experts.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silver Anniversary Dinner Suggestions

The restaurant that immediately comes to mind based on what you wrote is Clio http://www.cliorestaurant.com Intimate, excellent food, a place for a special occasion. Don't let anyone convince you to go to the Top of the Hub, the view is beautiful, but the food doesn't come near Clio.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silver Anniversary Dinner Suggestions

altho, you might get some foam there :-)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Silver Anniversary Dinner Suggestions

Although they are both small chains, Ruth Chris' Steak House and the Chart House are two of my favorites. Ruth Chris is located in the Old City Hall and has very intimate seating available. The Chart House is located in John Hancock's Counting House and is the oldest wharf building in the city.

Mentioned in this post
Old City Hall
Old City Hall
78 Reviews
Boston, MA
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Silver Anniversary Dinner Suggestions

Happy Anniversary !

Check out the website menus and photos for the following:

The Oak Room at the Fairmont Copley Plaza. Steaks, etc. www.theoakroom.com

L'Espalier (used to be in a gorgeous townhouse, but has recently moved to more "modern" quarters at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. I guess this falls into the "French" category. www.lespalier.com

Mamma Maria in the North End. A charming restaurant in a quaint building in an historic neighborhood. High-end Italian (not a red-sauve kind of place). www.mammamaria.com

Have celebrated special occasions at all of them (although at the old L'Espalier). Can't beat the Oak Room or Mamma Maria for romantic. Clio is very good, but the food and presentations can be a bit "precious", and as the poster warned, you may find some foam (I'm not a fan of foam either).

Mentioned in this post
North End
North End
6,223 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silver Anniversary Dinner Suggestions

I've been to Ruth Chris' Steakhouse in the old City Hall, to Mamma Maria's in the North End and to the Oak Room at the Copley Fairmont and also to the Chart House many times. All gems and there's no doubt about it. I'll have to put that Clio restaurant on the agenda though, we haven't been there yet.

Travelsnoop, I think you would really enjoy Ruth Chris' in the old City Hall building on School Street for this special dinner. It's one of the most beautiful locations in Boston to dine. Talk about an intimate setting, there's NO doubt about it here. When you first walk in to their courtyard they have the little white lights in all the trees leading up to the entrance. Yes, every one knows it's a chain, but each location around the country has their own personality and this one in Boston has charm and character down to a science. It has the nicely appointed dining rooms with the brick walls and all these gorgeous hidden rooms scattered throughout it. The waitstaff are intensely attentive and can't do enough for you here, yet they know when to back off too, they're extremely professional that way. We were told to skip dessert and order an extra appetizer and it was definitely worth it and just so amazing. I want to go back here again pretty soon where it's on my A list, can you tell!

Wherever you decide to dine, Happy Anniversary and may you have many more!

Mentioned in this post
North End
North End
6,223 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Silver Anniversary Dinner Suggestions

I think Locke-Ober fits the bill.

http://www.lockeober.com/

Historical (over 100 years old), a dark, handsome dining room and excellent classic (but not staid) food.

Boston
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silver Anniversary Dinner Suggestions

Excellent suggestions so far. I'd add Troquet http://www.troquetboston.com/. Really enjoyable food and great wine selection by the glass and bottle. Ask for a table next to the window in the upstairs dining room for a view overlooking the Common.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silver Anniversary Dinner Suggestions

Ahhh...these are the decisions that are fun to make. Thanks for the responses. Chains don't excite me, although we once had a lovely meal at the Chart House in Savannah. My husband is leaning toward the Counting House location (history freak), but I am inclined to try Mamma Maria because the food is so highly rated. Maybe drinks in the Oak Room Bar at the Fairmont, followed by the flavors of Italy?

Kendrick - I had to laugh when I looked up Clio's online. When you click on food photos, there were a lot of things covered in bubbles :) It scared us. LOL. Definitely noted your Top of the Hub critique since I was about to look into that one. Seems to be popular for special dinners, but popular doesn't always mean good. Thanks.

NoMo01- Wow, that was some review of Ruth's Chris! I just hate to go to Boston and eat at a place we have here. But believe me, there's nothing historical about the Ruth's Chris here.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silver Anniversary Dinner Suggestions

Ahhh...these are the decisions that are fun to make. Thanks for the responses.

Chains don't excite me, although we once had a lovely meal at the Chart House in Savannah. My husband is leaning toward the Counting House location (history freak), but I am inclined to try Mamma Maria because the food is so highly rated. Maybe drinks in the Oak Room Bar at the Fairmont, followed by the flavors of Italy?

Kendrick - I had to laugh when I looked up Clio's online. When you click on food photos, there were a lot of things covered in bubbles :) It scared us. LOL. Definitely noted your Top of the Hub critique since I was about to look into that one. Seems to be popular for special dinners, but popular doesn't always mean good. Thanks.

NoMo01- Wow, that was some review of Ruth's Chris! I just hate to go to Boston and eat at a place we have here.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
414 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Silver Anniversary Dinner Suggestions

I'll second the suggestion of L"Espalier, wonderful food and the perfect place for a special occasion. I've been to both the old location and the new & actually preferred the old town house, it was more charming where the new restaurant has a sleek modern look.

Another place to look into is No9 Park, very yummy.

Hope this helps