We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$1 or$3 megabus or boltbus fares

London, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Topic
$1 or$3 megabus or boltbus fares

When do these really cheap fares go on sale for NY to Boston/DC or vice versa? is there a particular time they appear on the website?

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,838 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $1 or$3 megabus or boltbus fares

I would check the website regularly.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: $1 or$3 megabus or boltbus fares

When are you travelling?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
324 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $1 or$3 megabus or boltbus fares

Check also Peter Pan buses, they also offer cheap fares to NYC ( something like $10-15 each way).

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: $1 or$3 megabus or boltbus fares

My understanding is that each bus has one or a few of these ultra-low seats. As the bus fills up, they get more expensive. So there is no "sale" time, per se. They do this to get folks booking early and entice them to use less popuar times.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $1 or$3 megabus or boltbus fares

Alanm is right. If you want one of these seats you need to search for the newest dates available and be one of the first. I think there is some computer program that helps set the price based upon demand so maybe they can get cheaper as the date gets closer if there aren't too many customers.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,424 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $1 or$3 megabus or boltbus fares

Right now, Bolt has $1 far, Boston to NY, on Dec 29th departing at 2:30pm or 6:30pm or 8:30pm

You just gotta look far into the future, i thinhk

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $1 or$3 megabus or boltbus fares

Check the website regularly. I've seen them for the coming week---like check on Saturday for the following Tuesday and you might find one. I haven't had a lot of success finding them for weekends though...

London, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: $1 or$3 megabus or boltbus fares

I'm going on 3rd December which is a thursday, at the moment I can seen tickets for $10 or $15

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: $1 or$3 megabus or boltbus fares

Just bear in mind that their "regular" fares are only $18 or so, so worrying about paying more or less is relatively inconsequential in the scheme of things.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $1 or$3 megabus or boltbus fares

Also think about when you would be most likely to take it if you were a student. Those times, it's likely to be slim pickin's and/or only on the graveyard runs that you'll find the ~ $1 fare. (Not just holidays.)