We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Runaway bride and groom

London
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Runaway bride and groom

Hello there, my husband and I got married in October and instead of choosing which family to spend Christmas with, we are running away to Boston!

We will be there from December 23-28 so have five days to fill up with lots of fun.

We are first-timers so I'm afraid I have a few questions...

We are trying to find a Boutique hotel to stay in somewhere close to the action?

Could you please recommend any outstanding restaurants, most importantly for Christmas day lunch/dinner?

Are there any good shows/plays/musuc on at that time?

A good place to have a drink with a view?

Oh, and finally, the best place to shop (independent boutiques rather than Gap, Banana Republic etc?

Any other top tips would be gratefully received

Thanks a lot!

Katie

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Runaway bride and groom

I suggest you consider staying at the Ames hotel. It's new and we would really appreciate it if you stayed here and posted a review of the place on Trip Advisor. Seriously.

Posh boutiques are on Newbury Street.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Runaway bride and groom

For a drink with a view Top of the Hub http://www.topofthehub.net/

Source for music, shows etc http://www.artsboston.org/

Good shopping on Newbury St. tho chains are encroaching more & more, also consider the South End of Boston & SoWa district - art, antiques and great restaurants

Many outstanding restaurants in the city - what do you like? All but a handful will be closed on Christmas Day - hotel dining rooms are always open so you won't go hungry! I like to use www.opentable.com to see what's on - it is a free reservation system & will link you to the actual website of restaurants. As for tips - take a walk over Beacon Hill while you are here, the neighborhood is lovely as are the holiday decorations.

Edited: 27 November 2009, 14:46
Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Runaway bride and groom

Charles Street would be another place to shop and to check out places to eat.

London
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Runaway bride and groom

Thanks so much guys. Does anyone know which restaurants WILL be open on Christmas day? We would like something fairly traditional - do they do Turkey on Christmas day in Boston?!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Runaway bride and groom

Christmas dinner in the US is not the same "traditional" meal as in the UK, but I'm sure you will be able to find turkey on the menu somewhere that is open. Our big traditional meal with turkey (which is different than yours) was just held yesterday on Thanksgiving. It's the traditional British side dishes and desserts that you will have more difficulty getting.

As to which restaurants will be open on Christmas, you have already received excellent advice to check www.opentable.com.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Runaway bride and groom

Hi,

While there are many outstanding restaurants in Boston, many will be closed on Christmas Day. However, there are two places to check for listings.

One, is the Boston Convention and Visitor's bureau, which has some restaurants listed for this year:

bostonusa.com/visit/…christmas-dining

The Cafe Fleuri at the Langham hotel is a gorgeous room and would make a very nice dining experience.

Another place that usually lists holiday meals is the BostonChefs website. They usually don't list places until a couple of weeks beforehand, though. I don't see the 2009 list posted yet, but if you keep watching on their "News and Events" page, it will probably be posted in the next week or so.

http://www.bostonchefs.com/news/

As for boutique hotels, the brand new Ames hotel has been mentioned, and I see that they seem to be running some fantastic deals for $119/night or a bit more. It's in an historic building right in the heart of the city and would probably be perfect for you.

Other options would be Nine Zero, XV Beacon (pricey but very nice), and there are a couple of antique B&B's in the South End you might want to consider. The Clarendon Square Inn, and the Encore. Both are in historic Victorian brownstones in the beautiful South End neighborhood, close to shopping, restaurants, etc. You can find reviews for both, here on TA in the B&B section.

www.artsboston.org will show you everything that's on in Boston that week...plays, concerts, dance, etc. All at a discount. You can also find listings and discounts at http://www.theatermania.com/boston

The House of Blues has some nice shows going on as well. It looks like the Mighty Mighty Bosstones are playing that week. That's a fun group:

houseofblues.com/venues/clubvenues/boston/

For independent boutique shopping, Charles St. on Beacon Hill, the South End, around Tremont St., Washington St. and Columbus Ave. have some very nice boutiques. Also, the "SoWa" area, between Washington St. and Albany St., especially along Waltham St. and Union Park St. have some fun boutiques and galleries and vintage clothing stores with unique items.

Newbury St. isn't what it used to be, the chains are closing in fast. But there are still a few interesting shops there, that might be fun for you to at least walk around there.

London
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Runaway bride and groom

Thanks so much BeantownMan, that is wonderfully helpful. I will check out those links.

What is the Langham like as a hotel? We are thinking there, as they have offered us a good deal, or XV Beacon. Any help choosing appreciated!

Thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Runaway bride and groom

The Langham is a very elegant tradtional hotel in the Financial District. The XV is a boutique hotel on Beacon Hill. Both very good, but very different.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Runaway bride and groom

Hi,

The Langham is located in a building that used to be the original Federal Reserve Bank of Boston. As you might imagine, it's got all the colossal, elegant and ornate architecture you'd expect from a bank building from that vintage (I think it was built around 1900, but not sure). Cafe Fleuri is located in the bank's atrium, which is really beautiful.

In case you are interested, the other thing that Cafe Fleuri is famous for, is the Chocolate Buffet. They have a special all Chocolate buffet that only runs during the winter, afternoons on Weekends, I believe. Here is the information:

…langhamhotels.com/en/…chocolate_bar.htm

Enjoy your trip!!

London
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Runaway bride and groom

Wow, thanks so much again Boston experts! I just have one more hotel to throw into the mix before we book. What about the Lennox? Think we have ruled out the Langham so it's between XV and the Lennox? Any opinion gratefully read.

Thank you!