We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years in Boston

Montgomery County...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Years in Boston

Heading to Boston for the Winter Classic. Will be there for two nights including New Years Eve. Staying at Kimpton Nine Zero. Looking for somewhere to have dinner on New Year's Eve. and also on New Years Day after the game. Something near the Kimpton would be good for the first night. Will we need a reservation? We like Italian, American, and Seafood restaurants. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years in Boston

You will absolutely need a reservation. You also need to know that many restaurants forgo their regular menu in favor of a prix fixe for New Years Eve. I haven't seen many specific menus yet, but a general price range (say, for three courses, before tax & tip, without wine) would be helpful.

Montgomery County...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years in Boston

Not surprised with the need for a reservation. We are thinking of around $35-$50 per person before tax and tips? Kind of low for New Years I guess.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years in Boston

One of the restauraunts Veronica mentioned as having their "prix fixe" menus for New Years Eve is Grotto. 3 courses for $32. I really like this restaurant. The food is good (italian) and it has that "Boston feel" going for it. It's on Bowdoin Street in Beacon Hill, a 10-15 minute walk from Nine Zero. Here's their website if you're interested.

http://grottorestaurant.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years in Boston

It looks as if the opposite is going on with the Grotto for NYE. They're having a regular menu according to their site. Usually every night of the week they offer the prix fixe for $32. Unless they're having both, if any one is interested they should inquire about it just the same, either way it's well worth it to go here, IF you can get reservations, you'll luck out if you can, it's quite popular, so call as soon as you can:

The Ball Is About To Drop

Grotto will be offering their regular menus on New Year's Eve. Please call to reserve.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years in Boston

I would encourage you to take a look at the First Night website so that you can get an idea of what things are planned and where before making a dinner reservation. Here's the website: www.firstnight.org

Also, your hotel is right across from the Boston Common where much of the First Night action takes place (ice sculptures, early fireworks, etc). And be aware that the family parade that wends its way down Boylston Street around 5:30 is great fun but gets packed. So if you don't want to see the parade, you should think about wandering Newbury Street and the Back Bay earlier that day.

It's a fun night in Boston so enjoy.

And I would encourage you to find a restaurant by going to www.opentable.com. That way you can plug in the time you want and the location/area and get good suggestions plus reviews.

Montgomery County...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years in Boston

Thank you so much! I will check out First Night website. Sounds like we will be in a good location.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years in Boston

Just another thought...you're hotel is a quick walk to chinatown and I'm sure they will be serving their regular menus. Folks here have some great suggestions for favorite spots:)

Also, I might check out Marliave-literally around the corner from your hotel. The downstairs or bar area has delicious upscale comfort food and fantastic cocktails. http://www.marliave.com/home/

Have a great holiday trip!

SeaportConcierge

www.seaportboston.com

www.twitter.com/seaportboston

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years in Boston

Just to elaborate on the Marliave suggestion, the whole restaurant (both upstairs and downstairs in the bar area) has the same menu now. They ditched the original concept of a high end upstairs dining room and lower-priced downstairs bar.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years in Boston

... and I assume they kept the higher priced menu??

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years in Boston

. Oh, yeah, also meant to ask: When you sit (or sat, I guess) outside, which menu were you looking at??