We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time should I allow for Bston traffic?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
How much time should I allow for Bston traffic?

I have a seminar Monday morning at the UMass Extension, Waltham Center, 240 Beaver Street, Waltham. I'd like to be there when the doors open at 8:30 a.m. so I can get a great seat.

Am driving down from Maine via 95, Google Maps says to get off at exit 27A toward Totten Pond Road.

How much extra time should allow for traffic at that time of day?

Thanks!

Edited: 11 December 2009, 02:47
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,232 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time should I allow for Bston traffic?

You should be okay until you hit the piece that used to be designated Route 128, which is the inner circle route around Boston. From there, I would add an extra 30-45 minutes beyond normal driving to allow for traffic. I would think more towards the former, but traffic can be very "iffy".

Edited: 11 December 2009, 03:40
Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time should I allow for Bston traffic?

I-95 will be the type of traffic that moves, you won't have that stop and go type of headache like down thru Boston. Once you get off that exit thru Woburn etc...it will of course get congested through that area, it'll move though. Just be prepared, anything could happen, remember to leave early in case you do get stuck in a tie up or even an accident along the way. You just might luck out and not get stuck at all that way though too.

Whenever I have plans in Boston with friends during the week, I usually like to leave anytime after 9 in the morning so I won't get in to the commuters flying by. You're actually going to be right in the middle of it at the time you're heading to Waltham especially where it's on the other side of Cambridge, that gets crazy thru there, so all I can tell you is to leave early just in case.

If there's snow, every one will be driving really slow or I should say, most of us will be driving slow! Some are still crazy enough to fly right thru it all, so get ready for it IF that should happen. Set your alarm, go earlier if you can.

Good luck!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time should I allow for Bston traffic?

Keeping my fingers crossed that the snow forecast for Tuesday doesn't come early.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time should I allow for Bston traffic?

If you are coming straight 95, in Peabody it merges w/ the "128 loop" that Alan mentioned. It is usually quite slow from the time 95 joins 128 until you get past the point where 93 merges in. I think Alan's estimate of an extra 30-45 minutes over what trip advisor says is a good one.

Also, I took the Totten Pond Road exit in Sept and there was a lot of construction. I found it EXTEMELY confusing. I don't know if the construction is done or not now,

Is the UMASS extension on Forest Street? If yes, I may be able to give you better directionss I was going to the Girl scout council office that day that is right near a UMASS site, but I'm not sure if it's the one you are going to.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time should I allow for Bston traffic?

My address is on Beaver Street. Mapquest and Google Maps both give me teh same route ( I'll be using GPS that day.)

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time should I allow for Bston traffic?

keep radio tuned to bz 1030am for traffic updates...

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
324 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time should I allow for Bston traffic?

Totten Pond Road is still under construction and the entire area is extremely congested in the morning. The traffic is very heavy from Burlington to Waltham exits.

I would say that 45 extra minutes is an absolute minimum. If you need to be there at 8:30 sharp, I would give it at least one extra hour above google estimates.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time should I allow for Bston traffic?

And please report back where the best seats are. Finding the best of anything seems to be a frequent topic here and this will add to the knowledge base. Thanks.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time should I allow for Bston traffic?

I've been to the UMass Extension in Waltham, but on a weekend so I can't offer any tips about traffic (it's near Bentley College if that helps others with advice). I will offer a tip of another sort: Wear warm clothes including socks! The building was heated minimally and the wind howled through it.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time should I allow for Bston traffic?

Daughter worked at Bentley. Sometimes got to work early, sometimes late. No rhyme or reason it seemed. If things are backed up or you do want to avoid construction you can get off at exit 28 (Trapelo Road), take left off the exit toward Belmont, then a right onto Lexington Street (Mobil Station and Shaws on your left), then left on to Beaver.