We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Whale Watching

I'm planning to go to Boston in the spring, and would like to go whale watching. I found a 3-hour whale watching cruise that departs from "One Long Wharf in Boston". How far is that from the main downtown area (I don't know exactly where I'll be staying)? What's the best way to get there? Cab? Bus? Walking?

Also, is late-April/early-May a good time to go whale watching? Not sure if it'll be too cold out there (I'm Canadian, so I guess "cold" is relative!) or if there's less of a chance of spotting whales at that time of the year.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Happy Holidays!

Suny D :)

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching

Long Wharf is downtown. I can't tell you how to get there (uh, because you don't have a starting point) but there's a T stop right there (Aquarium stop on the Blue Line) and suffice it to say, it's on the beaten path.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching

It's not that far.

Edited: 11 December 2009, 19:17
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching

If it's a nice enough day to go whale-watching, it'll be a nice enough day to walk from wherever you're (most likely) staying.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching

It will be an easy walk or subway ride from wherever your'e staying. It can be chilly out on the ocean almost any time of year. So, no matter what the weather feels like in town, bring a sweatshirt or jacket or something.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching

I agree, it is really cold on the ocean out that far, no

matter what time of year. Just bring layers- one won't be enough. And hat and gloves. It will be incredible when you see whales- it's worth the cold and the inconvenience. You might think about seasickness remedies too.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching

Thanks for all of your help :) I really appreciate it.

I was wondering about the sea sickness too. Do you think I'll be okay if I take Gravol, or do people usually get sick even after taking it? I guess it depends on how rough the waters are that day and how strong (or weak) a stomach you have.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,183 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching

I'm not familiar w/ Gravol but if you aren't prone to motion sickness, any over the counter remedy should help. Of course there's always exceptions ; )

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching

I'd recommend either Bonine or Dramamine. Both can be purchased over the counter, and they're very effective for preventing seasickness -- but be careful, because most people become extremely sleepy after several hours, so don't take them if you plan to drive after the whale watch.

9. Re: Whale Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2010, 05:16