We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playing tourist in town

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Playing tourist in town

Had a great day yesterday in Boston with visiting relatives. Because of the rain, we did the Old Town Trolley. Parked at the Boston Common garage and bought tickets at the office - stayed on for all stops. Driver was informative and funny . (The windows kept fogging up making it hard to see) One thing I noticed was how few people tipped the driver - I was surprised. Anyway, we got off at the Old State House and walked down to the Market, visited Faneuil Hall, making the trek up the 4 flights to the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Museum, definitely worth it for any military buffs. Next we headed over the Holocaust Memorial, very moving. After, we went over to the shops and then headed to the North End with a brief visit to the Old North Church. Finally, dinner at LaSumma - so glad I finally got a chance to try it after all the positive mentions it gets here at TA. One word - excellent! Service was fast & friendly, great menu, prices reasonable. We were there early so it wasn't crowded. There was an appetizer special called "ricotta fritta" which was delicious. We will go again. Walked out to Hanover, got right into a cab back to the Common. Wonderful day, happy to live in such a fine place.

Trailblazer Tours Boston - Private Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
CityView Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playing tourist in town

You did it up right Kendrick, good job with the trip report, that must have been a fun day in town. Great idea to head to the Boston Common garage too. I see that you got to LaSumma in the North End, that's cool, isn't it wonderful there? Now you know why there's so many of us raving about it all the time here! It's been on my A-list and hasn't moved off it yet.

Happy New Year!

NOMO01

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,159 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playing tourist in town

So glad to hear you made it to La Summa! I'm jealous :D I miss La Summa! Glad to hear you all had a good time.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playing tourist in town

Nice recap of your 'visit.' Happy 2010 to all.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playing tourist in town

Thanks, Happy New Year!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Playing tourist in town

Hi Kendrick:

Nice way to spend the day. I did almost the identical thing a month ago, minus the trolley.

Yes, it is nice to tip the driver. Even just a few bucks says thanks in a big way.

Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,399 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playing tourist in town

Wow kendrick, you packed a lot into one day. Sounds like you had a good time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playing tourist in town

So funny, Kendrick...I played tourist in Boston on Monday/Monday night with my neice. We stayed at the Millenium for $127/night and also had dinner at LaSumma which I'd wanted to try for a while as well. Like you, we both enjoyed the food. My niece had the Pasta Melanzane and I had the Chicken with Artichokes. We stopped in for a glass of Champagne at the Kingfish Hall bar after dinner. I was surprised that a glass of very good Champagne was only $10 there. It's usually around $13-14 a glass. Anyway, a fun time was had by all (and I didn't mean to hijack your thread:)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playing tourist in town

Sounds great, HG! esp. the champagne. How was the Millenium?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playing tourist in town

The Millenium was fine. The room and especially the bathroom was very nice. We had a tiny balcony that overlooked Faneuil Hall, which was nice but it was so cold that we didn't go out there except to put the doggy bag from La Summa out there so it didn't stink up the room. Of course, we forgot to get them when we left. If anyone sees some chicken and artichokes blowing around Faneuil Hall, it was ours :)

Edited: 31 December 2009, 19:44
10. Re: Playing tourist in town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2010, 05:17