We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Boston to Buffalo 5 days

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Boston to Buffalo 5 days

Hi everyone

My husband and I will be in Boston at the beginning of April, and need to make our way over to Toronto. We would like to hire a car in Boston and take about 5 days to do a scenic drive to Buffalo and then catch the train to Toronto.

So, the itinerary... my thinking is that we leave Boston, drive up through New Hampshire, then Vermont, then make our way over to Lake Placid and from there, make our way down to the Finger Lakes, then head to Niagara Falls, ending in Buffalo.

Given the time of year, I am looking for any advice of areas that won't be so pleasant due to possible weather. Also, this is our first time driving on the right hand side, so would prefer to avoid any snowy areas if possible. We would like to see beautiful countryside and picturesque towns. If you have any recommendations on routing or nice towns to stay in, please let me know.

Final question, do you think we would have time to leave boston and head to Newport before heading to New Hampshire or is that just backtracking?

Thanks everyone.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Boston to Buffalo 5 days

First, although it's quite unlikely that you will encounter any real weather-related travel problems, do not count on nice spring weather. Chances are you'll get a bit of it, but the chances are much better for damp and chilly. Snow is a distinct possibility, but it's not likely to fall in significant quantity. There will be no leaves or blossoms on the trees for most of your trip, and very few flowers. Simply put, you have not chosen a propitious time of year from a weather standpoint. Spring comes late to New England, upstate New York, and Canada.

You certainly have time to go to Newport if you want to (and you'll get a much better taste of spring there). It will just make your trip to Toronto less leisurely.

You will see plenty of beautiful scenery on the route you've outlined. Just off the top of my head, here are a few picturesque towns: Center Sandwich, Meredith, Harrisville, Walpole, and Hanover, NH; Cooperstown, NY. (Lots in Vermont as well, of course, but I'll leave those to others who spend more time there.)

Are you sure you can get a train from Buffalo to Toronto?

Enjoy your trip.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Boston to Buffalo 5 days

Sounds like a lot for five days...

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Boston to Buffalo 5 days

If you are heading to Niagara Falls, I am assuming that you intend to spend some time there before heading to Toronto. You can get the train from Niagara Falls (Canadian side) to Toronto. You get to Buffalo before Niagara Falls not the other way around.

As the previous post says, April is not the best time to be doing this drive. Snow is always possible, too early for leaves on the trees etc.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Boston to Buffalo 5 days

It's a lot of driving for little return at that time of year. You might be better spending a night or two in areas outside of Boston (like Newport or Lake Placid) and cutting out parts of your route. In northern New England that time of year is often referred to as "mud season".

Also, be aware that many car rental companies charge a premium to pick up a car in one city and drop it in another. As far as the Canadian side of the falls ... sometimes the car rental contract prohibits crossing an international border.

What you are proposing is ambitious, but doable, but you'll need to be sure you know what you are getting into and do your research with regards to the rental.

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Boston to Buffalo 5 days

Thanks everyone for your (very fast) replies. Maybe we need to re-think our plan as I don't want to waste time and money on seeing something which should be beautiful. Maybe I will leave this itinerary for another visit which can be at a more suitable time (the dates for this trip aren't flexible unfortunately!).

Thanks again, it has been very helpful and I have appreciated your honest replies.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Boston to Buffalo 5 days

As other contributors mentioned, early April really is "mud season" up north, and you would not be catching these areas at their best.

If you'll be in Boston at the start of your trip, you could easily spend some time here and then 1-2 days in Newport, which with its more southern location will be milder at that time of year -- the crocuses will be up, and maybe some daffodils too.

You could then just fly right to Buffalo/Niagara for around $100 apiece on Jet Blue from Boston, or on Southwest from Providence (which is near Newport), saving yourself the time and hassle of the long drive out on the New York Thruway.

From either Buffalo or Niagara Falls, you could then pick up the train to Toronto -- it's Amtrak's "Maple Leaf" route and seems to run just once per day. (If you cross the border to Niagara Falls, Ontario, there appear to be 2 trains per day on VIA Rail.)

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Boston to Buffalo 5 days

That is a good alternative suggestion - I will look into that option instead. Since I will have a few spare days, is there anywhere else near Newport that you would recommend? Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Boston to Buffalo 5 days

Anywhere else near Newport -- much of the coast of Rhode Island is beautiful, but my recommendation would be to go to Cape Cod for a night or two, if you can spare the time. One other idea would be to stop in Plymouth and visit Plymouth Plantation, especially if the history interests you.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Boston to Buffalo 5 days

You know, we're telling you it's mud season and might not be that pleasant -- all true. However, there is likely to still be snow and skiing at the higher elevations. So another approach would be to whisk through southern parts of that territory and then spend some of your spare time in far northern New England, such as northern Vermont (Jay's Peak is the farthest north) or in the Adirondacks, which are gorgeous and have ski resorts.

Boston
Level Contributor
624 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Boston to Buffalo 5 days

Unless you want to just drive the whole time forget about Newport.

If you take 1-93 to 1-89 you can visit Montepelier and Stowe than go on to Lake Placid.

Depending on your time if you take a detour I would recomend the corning Glass museum.