We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap and cheerful!

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap and cheerful!

Suggestions needed for a trip to Boston/Cambridge in October 2010. A group are coming over and need to have hostel/bed and breakfast accomodation - all I can see are large chains which are not cheap - preferably close to the T as we may not have transport.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap and cheerful!

You need to help us here. How big a group, what is your budget, what do you plan on seeing or doing??

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap and cheerful!

I wouldn't call Irving House cheap, but it's definitely cheerful and wonderful. Have a look; if you're willing to share rooms and bathrooms, it might be manageable price-wise. However, if you're going to be here during the Head of the Charles Regatta, you won't find a deal here. http://www.cambridgeinns.com/irving/

Boston
Level Contributor
6,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap and cheerful!

There are some B&Bs in Boston, but I am not familiar with them. I know someone who has stayed at the Newbury Guest House twice. It is in an excellent location. There are at least two hostels in Boston, one on Hemenway St. on the edge of Back Bay and one on Friend St. near the TD Garden (arena). Google Boston hostels and you will find them. There is also the Hotel 140 which used to be a Y and I understand is cheap and no-frills. The Midtown Hotel is also a no-frills relatively inexpensive place in a good location.

October is a prime tourist month here, so prices tend to be higher and places fill up. So, you are smart to start looking so early.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,760 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap and cheerful!

You really do not want a car in the city ....

There's a place on the subway line just outside of Boston called Anthony's town house. I first saw it written up in an in-flight magazine last year .... but it's been around for a while ... check this out. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k289460…

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap and cheerful!

Here's a link to the Hostelling International site for Boston:

http://www.bostonhostel.org/

Looks as if there's a hostel in the Fenway area. The photos look very nice, and the rates are very cheap, especially if you're a member of Hostelling International.

My son stayed in a hostel in Albania recently and loved it.

Have fun...

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap and cheerful!

Correction: the Fenway hostel is open only during the summer, but there's another one in the city that's open year-round. You can contact them via the website for details.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap and cheerful!

There will be around 11 of us in total - we are coming over for the Dance America Rapper Tournament which is to be held on the weekend of 23 October. We have varying budgets and would like to be staying together for the first night.

We need to have an address to enter on our Visa waiver forms.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap and cheerful!

There are two hostels in the city that I am aware of: Hostel International on Hemenway Street and Beantown Hostel on Friend Street. That weekend, by the way, is when the Head of the Charles Regatta is taking place, so you may have a lot of trouble getting accomodations at all. I wouldn't wait to make reservations.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap and cheerful!

The HI website indicates that a much bigger hostel is under construction, but I couldn't find anything specific about completion or when it will open.

10. Re: Cheap and cheerful!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 05:17