We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England in the Fall Itinerary

Scotland
12 posts
Save Topic
New England in the Fall Itinerary

Hi. Just reading some other folks itineraries and wondered if you could give me some advice on mine? We are flying in to Boston on the 6th October and planned to stay in Boston for 5 nights and head up to the Berkshires on the 11th by train or bus. We thought we'd spend a few days traveling around the area and then head to Cape Cod and perhaps over to Martha's Vineyard for a few days. We have 13 days in total before we fly back out from Boston. We enjoy biking, hiking and generally don't want to spend too much time travelling from place to place - more a chilled holiday really. Am I on the right lines? Early days in the planning as you can tell !

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,924 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: New England in the Fall Itinerary

You can do all of that, but you will need a car, as I indicated in your other post.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,074 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England in the Fall Itinerary

If your goal is just to 'see foliage" vs "see the Berkshires" and you don't want to rent a car, you may be able to find a tour heading north towards the White Mountains. We see tour buses there frequently in the fall.

Boston
Level Contributor
624 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England in the Fall Itinerary

When you are coming I would skip the Cape and the Vinyard.

If you like to hike, I would advise going from the Berhshires to Stowe VT there are 2 or 3 great hikes there.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,074 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England in the Fall Itinerary

I can't comment on the Vineyard because I've only been there a couple of times ... but I would not skip the Cape in October unless your only reason for going there is to swim. October is a great time of year to go there. Both the fast ferries from Boston to Provincetown (the very tip of Cape Cod) run until mid-October ... they wouldn't be running if there were no demand for that service.

The Cape has changed a lot in the past 20 years and actively markets the fall season now.

Boston...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New England in the Fall Itinerary

I love MV! I take a day trip there every year. From Vineyard Haven I'll rent a bike and ride to Oaks Bluff and Edgertown, which are both very quaint towns with little shops. Once you ride towards West Tisbury or Gay Head, you'll catch some nice views and wind riding along the ocean.

I would skip Nantucket though. Once you get off the ferry, there's only a 2 or 4 block radius of things to do.

If you like hiking, you should go to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. It's about 2.5 hrs from Boston, but the views of foliage are amazing, not to mention they have many waterfalls that are great to photograph!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New England in the Fall Itinerary

Sounds great. Just want to point out that the Berkshires (gorgeous) are due west of Boston. Then Cape Cod and the islands are southeast. Boston is really in between those two destinations. One thought would be to stay in Boston for 2 -3 days, then do either Cape Cod or the Berkshires. Then switch and go to the other (Cape or Berkshires), then return to Boston to relax for another couple of days. This would prevent your having a hectic ride back to Boston on your last day. Will Columbus Day happen during this span of time? Be aware that that is a big travel weekend around here. It could affect your drive time to and from the Cape, a little. I agree about the Cape and islands -- they are magical in the fall, but don't have as much of the bright red and yellow foliage. You still get that beautiful fall feeling, though.

Scotland
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New England in the Fall Itinerary

Thank you everyone. That's really helpful. What I'm thinking then is that we stay in Boston from the 4th until Monday 11th October and then stay flexible about where we want to have our mountain experience. I'm hoping that by the Monday of the holiday weekend we will not be too caught up with traffic or issues with public transport heading out of Boston? I still very much want to see the Cape and Martha's Vineyard, so does that mean that I'll need to travel via Boston to get there if I'm coming back from the Berkshires or the White Mountains? Not a problem for us, but just wanted to check. Really looking forward to this holiday!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,074 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New England in the Fall Itinerary

Are you still trying to avoid renting a car?

I guess if you are intent on seeing the White Mountains, you could get a bus to Jackson, NH and make that your base ... there is lodging and restaurants in Jackson Village, but not much else in ways of transportation to hiking trails, etc once you get there.

There is still ferry service to the tip of Cape Cod (Provincetown) until Oct 18th, but it stops running after that.

Bus service to Woods Hole and the MV ferry runs year round ... but it really is tough to tour all of New England without private transportation or joining an official tour.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: New England in the Fall Itinerary

You could still see the Cape & MV without a car using the ferry from Boston to Provincetown, and a bus (then ferry) from Boston to Woods Hole. (where you catch the ferry to MV). Both are easily done except they make for a long day if you plan to return to Boston that night.

Not sure how you're going to see the more rural, mountainous areas of New England without a car. That will be tough. You can get bus service to most destinations, but then you're kinda just stuck there. Have you considered an all-inclusive tour like the one from Tauck? They have an 11 day Grand Autumn New England tour that has a fab itinerary. It's mostly all inclusive, so your transportation, hotels, most meals, and gratuities are all included. Cost is $3,500 per person which seems expensive but when you factor in that you won't have to keep digging into your pockets to pay for everything, it's actually very convienent and a good value. It looks like you'll have to cover your own dinner 2 or 3 times on the trip and that's about it. Having lived here all my life and seen just about all New England has to offer, I LOVE this itinerary. I'll leave the link for you. Tauck also has an 8 day tour (different itinerary) for $2,500. And there's also several other tours thru different companies for seeing New England without a car.

tauck.com/tours/…fall-foliage-tour-gr-2010

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,074 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New England in the Fall Itinerary

Wow Will --- what a great tour that is!! I have to wonder ... does the tour bus climb to the top of Mount Washington or does it stop at the base and put people into vans or onto the cog railway?

Somebody posted the other day about a Caravan Tour. That one only runs 8 days, it made a point of covering all 6 New England states and while all the sites were definitely interesting, I thought it was way too much for 8 days and had visions of going stir-crazy from spending WAY too much time on a bus.